So Has the Jury Reached a Verdict: Is Magic Cast the same thing as Historic Timekeepers?

PaulWeber

Feb 10, 2017
Country
I’m new to the ultrasonic cleaning world. I haven’t actually taken the dip yet, but I’ve spent several hours on these NAWCC forums trying to educate myself on the proper cleaning solution(s) to use. I know this is a well-worn subject with lots of varying opinions.

I’ll be cleaning not just movements, but also a number of brass crystal regulator cases. Since some of these cases are lacquered, I’m thinking an ammoniated US cleaning solution would work well for me because I’d like to remove the old lacquer.

If I’ve understood several past posts correctly, Historic Timekeepers was a popular ammoniated cleaner. But apparently it’s no longer available. I’ve seen a few other posts which seem suggest or suspect that Magic Cast (available thru Timesavers) is merely a marketing name-change, and that the two solutions are essentially the same, if not identical, products.

So this is my long-winded way to ask: Does anybody really know? And regardless of whether they are in fact the same, can anyone share their experiences with Magic Cast—especially in comparison to another popular cleaner, DEOX-007 (which I understand is non-ammoniated).

Thanks in advance.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
while ultrasonics do tend to remove lacquer, i don't think of them as the right way to perform that task.

i soak in acetone and get the lacquer off before putting pieces in my ultrasonic... all cautions about working with acetone still apply.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I'm thinking an ammoniated US cleaning solution would work well for me because I'd like to remove the old lacquer.
I agree with bruce, this is not a good way to remove lacquer. Using acetone and quite a bit of elbow grease is a much better way. Ammonia is not really a lacquer solvent.

You can also buy ready-made lacquer remover.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShadyShinju
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-