Smith's Sectric Delhi Clock Running Backwards

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by paulmolive, Jan 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. paulmolive

paulmolive New Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Hello everybody smiley.gif .

Having trouble with my Smith's Delhi. A few years ago, it started running backwards and it's been sitting ever since. I decided to take a look inside and see if there is an adjustment I could make. I noticed that this part (see picture) fails to weave in & out properly between the metal tabs while running clockwise. It goes a half turn, bumps the tab, and then runs backwards. Sorry, not sure what the part is called. Is there an adjustment that can be made? Or is there a defective part involved. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers

Paul

Attached Files:

2. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Maybe I am wrong. But wouldn't you reverse the polarity

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I assumed it was AC, so it doesn't have one. When I was a kid I told my teacher our electric clock always went backwards after a power cut and we had to keep restarting it until it went the right way.

He called me a liar.

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These AC motors can turn either way in principle. Once they are running they keep running in that direction as long as there is no power outage. So your teacher was wrong (and rude). The motor of this clock seems to have a mechanism added that prevents it from running backwards, usually some clever lever system that gives the motor a push in the 'right" direction after a brief run backwards.

I think this thread would be better located in the "Electric Horology" section. Somebody will know this kind of clock and exactly what's wrong with it.

Uhralt

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He had the teacher syndrome that he always knew everything because he was a teacher.

As you say, usually there is a mechanical device to get the motor started in the right direction. These can break or wear out.In my youth power cuts were very common so we experienced it a lot. Now they are rare. However when they occur our water feature stops because the little plastic pawl keeps breaking and the motor starts backwards or not at all. We fix it the same we we did the clock of my childhood.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some of those clocks have a knob on the back that you can spin with your hand to get it running the right direction.
    I'll move this to electric horology for more input.

7. paulmolive

paulmolive New Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Sounds good! Thanks for the replies.

Paul