smiths granddaughter clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by jpbroad1970, Apr 15, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jpbroad1970

jpbroad1970 Registered User

Apr 15, 2012
    hi
    my grand mother has kindly given me her granddaughter clock
    pics attached we are trying to find out a model and some info

P1020446 (451x800).jpg
    P1020447 (451x800).jpg P1020448 (451x800).jpg P1020449 (451x800).jpg this label has s.p 614 in the bottom right corner

the clock still has the origional wiring connector onto the motor as far as i can tell and it seems to keep perfect time and chimes as it should (westminster)
    we belive its smiths as it has a smiths mechanism
    it has a big cast weight in the bottom
    you have to start the clock by moving a lever
    i can do more photos if need be
    any help would be appreciated age etc as my gran is curious she brought it for £100 35 years ago
    thanks
    John

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the Message Board. You are correct John. It's a Smiths with their chiming "Sectric" movement, very similar in principle to the US made GE Telechron electric chiming, striking clock that uses no springs to operate the chime and strike trains and instead uses a "jockey" mechanism to engage the chime and strike trains with the synchronous electric motor.

The little detail about manually starting the motor suggests that the clock is an early model as later made examples used a self-starting electric motor when mains electrical power became more reliable.

3. jpbroad1970

Apr 15, 2012
    thank you for that
    do these clocks have model numbers that can be traced for further info?
    we keep looking on the net but cannot find anything similar
    cheers

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not well up on electric clocks at all and you may get more responses in the forum specifically for such clocks.

The Sectric trademark is said to have been used by Smiths from early 1937. There is an example of a mantle clock illustrated in Shenton's Collectable Clocks with instructions that includes the model number 259, it has a Sectric movement which is similar but not the same as the one in your clock.

5. mrtuggles

mrtuggles Registered User

Mar 13, 2011
    Norwich
    Country Flag:
    THe Model of this Clock would appear to be an ADEN - 1935/1937 it came with a Sectric or 14 day strike movement.On checking your picture yours looks like its a Synchronous chime movement, this are illustrated in the 1933 catalogue by Smiths.A good book charts the develpment of these movements and is called "Birth of the British Synchronous Motor Clock" by Pam and Peter Wotton.
    Hope this helps

Steve.

6. jpbroad1970

Apr 15, 2012
    thank you for that
    is there anywhere to get a copy of the smiths 1933 catalogue
    regards
    john

7. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, John.
    I agree with Steve--your clock appears to be the Aden model from 1935-37. A verrrrry tiny picture of it is shown on page 79 of Smiths Domestic Clocks by Barrie Smith, 2nd ed., 2008.
    Cheers,

8. jpbroad1970

Apr 15, 2012
    Hi.
    Been a long time but my poor clock is in the wars. The chime isn't working, it looks like gear pin has sheared off. I contacted a clock repairer who has refused to do it because it's to tricky . Does anyone have any ideas? This was handed down to me from my grandma who sadly passed away yesterday and I'm desperate to get it repaired but need someone I can trust as you would understand as it's extremely sentimental.
    Thanks in advance

9. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Hi John, I don't do clocks, but I wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. Peace and best wishes to you.

10. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Male
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, John. It would be helpful to know where you lived, if you hope to receive suggestions as to who might be able to work on your clock.

jpbroad1970 likes this.
  11. jpbroad1970

Apr 15, 2012
    Cheers thank you.

12. jpbroad1970

Apr 15, 2012
    Sorry yeah I'm in Northamptonshire Rushden

Spaceman Spiff likes this.
  13. jpbroad1970

Apr 15, 2012
    Good afternoon,

I've found a watchmaker and clock restorer in Stamford who are going to repair my clock for me. The unfortunate side is it's going to be £1200 to £1500 pounds. Probably far more than the clock is worth but for sentimental reasons it needs to be done.