Smiths clock information and repair tips/advice

Clockwork orange

May 2, 2021
Country
Well after completing the full strip down and full refurb of my smith/Enfield rack and snail clock I’m moving on to this one,it’s a smiths clock ,could someone tell me a little bit about it please,the name of the mechanism,and when it was made,the clock is running fast and the strike is totally random,with no pattern to the strikes,when it strikes on 12,it gets stuck and doesn’t stop until I move the hand to about 10 past the hour then it shuts off,thanks for reading FC0F3877-36DD-405C-AB55-164CDB1FFBCF.jpeg D3923C0B-C248-4755-A302-6E1186BBA286.jpeg

Paul Statham

Oct 22, 2020
Country
Region
Hi Clockwork orange, it looks like a F6 floating balance movement c1956-c1969 they were either front wound or back wound the F6 is fitted with a stop work. The plates were 95mm high to the shoulder of the arched top, 93mm wide, 1.7mm thick and 30.1mm apart. i know that dosen't help you with the problem you are having i will leave that to the more experience good luck

Clockwork orange

May 2, 2021
Country
Thankyou for the insight Paul,I really appreciate it buddy,I haven’t started it yet,I’ve just moved my smith Enfield to the place where it’s staying and have to set it up again,I’m trying to get a sweet beat,it’s frying my head lol,I’ve called it quits tonight ,I’ll have another go when I’m not clocked out

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Clockwork, I am not familiar with that movement, but the floating balance is common in several modern movements. You should first remove the balance assembly and clean it separately with naphtha or a similar cleaner. No oil on that unit. I noticed that the floating balance looks like it is not floating but rubbing on the bottom. Someone has perhaps bent the spring downward at the upper end?
As far as the rest of the movement goes, I see black gook in the pivots which reduces power and could be the cause of it running fast. You will need to completely disassemble it and clean everything. The pivots must be polished and bushings where necessary. The striking problem will probably be ok once you clean it up and oil the strike train. Good luck
Will

Clockwork orange

May 2, 2021
Country
Cheers for the advice will,I’m going to start dissasembling it later and clean,it’s not runnin majorly fast,it gained about 6 minutes over the same amount of hours,but as you said ,I’ll give it a good clean and see how we go from that point
steve

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If it still runs fast after the above advise is followed, you likely have wear in the movement that is restricting the operation of the balance. When they don't get enough power up through the train, they can't rotate far enough and run fast.
If you decide to work on it, be sure you let the mainsprings down first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Furgus2021
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller