Please ID this Clock Smith Enfield Clock bought on ebay

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by josephus14, Apr 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. josephus14

josephus14 Registered User

Jun 16, 2012
    I'll say it says Smith Enfield. I had my doubts about it even before I bought it because I could see it had open springs. The Smith movements I've had are in barrels. At any rate, I liked it and was able to talk him down a little so I bought it anyway. The first thing I noticed was that the Smith Enfield was a little crudely printed on the dial. The movement is an open spring as I said with a rack and snail strike system. It has a trademark emblem that looks like maybe River. There is an R printed below that. I would say it's a replica, but has anyone ever seen this trade mark? Have any idea where it was made or country of origin?

s-l1600.jpg thumbnail2.jpg

2. josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
    Rivon? Rivoa? Rivea?

thumbnail3.jpg

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I have never seen this movement in a Smiths clock and I do not recognise the trade mark.

Unfortunately, your photos of the mark are not very sharp and even when enlarged it is not clear. I have found several similar marks registered: Revox (2 firms), Revon and Rivor. Can you look more carefully to see what it says or post a sharper photo?

Others may know more.

JTD

4. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've also not seen that mark before. Smiths/Enfield did make some open spring clocks but afaik this isn't one of them.

5. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a knockoff clock made long after Smith's went out of business, leaving some foreign host to reuse the trademark. I don't recognize the movement's trademark but would imagine it is Indian or Korean in origin.

6. josephus14

Jun 16, 2012
    Yeah. I was thinking Korean as well. Sorry about not getting a clearer photo of the trademark. It's really not any better in real life. It sort of get distorted with the pattern on the plate. Thanks. I appreciate all of your input.