Smaller Chronometers

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by NickW27, Feb 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NickW27

NickW27 Registered User

Aug 19, 2019
    Male
    Plymouth, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently bought a chronometer case, unseen, from an auction, to fit my Bliss & Creighton chronometer. It has a label, Black & Murray, Calcutta and is made of rosewood. Unfortunately, it is too small so I am now looking for a chronometer to fit.The case is 140mm (5½") wide internally. Please can anyone suggest suitable chronometers which will fit this case so that I know what to look for?

Black & Murray Chronometer Case 1jpg.jpg Black & Murray Case .jpg 20200223_162247.jpg

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick,

I should think you'd need one of the smaller, earlier 2-day instruments having a bezel without the later, deep sight ring, mostly before the 1830s. Perhaps a nice Arnold & Dent!

Regards,

Graham

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Parkinson & Frodsham made chronometers in that size also. They also made them with American chandler names.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick.My chronometer box is 6 inches across. So mine is small. Its a Zenith movement in it. Maybe that might fit in yours.

5. NickW27

NickW27 Registered User

Aug 19, 2019
    Male
    Plymouth, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Having been inundated with, in excess of, 2 replies I should like to thank all of you who had suggestions. The first two look as though they could be rare and rather expensive and the third also looks as though it could be expensive. I was hoping that the Waltham / Hamilton type watch chronometers would fit but they seem to be even smaller. A Hamilton was for sale in Glasgow, Scotland recently. The auctioneer said that the existing, damaged case was 15mm narrower than mine but I was unable to check as it was too far away. My case must be a lot older than I was expecting and looked as though it had been in somebody’s shed for many years. There was a small, chamfered cut out on one side (not the side shown in the auction catalogue!) and there was an eyelet terminal and brass nut inside suggesting that it had been connected to some sort of electrical equipment in the past. Anti U boat? I have filled that in, reasonably successfully, re-glazed it, polished it and altered a key to fit so is now looks too good to get rid of.

I now have an 1830’s case without a chronometer and an 1840’s chronometer (in need of restoration) without a case!

There is better news about my 1897 Johannsen. The records show that it was used for “Newfoundland Survey” between 1904 and 1909. This was probably on a ship called Ellinor which had been originally owned by the Prince of Monaco, called Princess Alice and had an interesting past. See Sailstrait website.

Nick

6. Shipsbell

Shipsbell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Nick, I have a Black and Murray Chronometer with out the top of the box. It includes all the brass gimbal and brass to hold the movement. Patrick

7. NickW27

NickW27 Registered User

Aug 19, 2019
    Male
    Plymouth, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Patrick, Thank you for your reply. Do you know when your chronometer was made? From the size of my case it has been suggested that it is from the 1830's.
    Also, what is the internal width of your case? A photo would be appreciated to help with the search for a suitable chronometer to fit my case.
    Regards
    Nick

8. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Nick,
    I have a complete extra Bliss & Creighton chronometer. PM me or email at pwatches@gmail.com
    Paul

9. NickW27

NickW27 Registered User

Aug 19, 2019
    Male
    Plymouth, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Patrick, I see that your name is "Shipsbell". I have 4 ships bell clocks here. 2 are MFH Watchkeeper. I posted an enquiry a while ago to see if anybody knew who actually made these. It has a modified Enfield F3 movement so would have been made after 1946 so was wondering if you could help. There is 1 other for sale in Australia but have been unable to find any information about them. Regards Nick

10. Shipsbell

NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Nick, Let me check out the information you requested and get back to you. Patrick

11. Shipsbell

NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I didn't see your note regarding "shipsbell" until I had responded to your earlier note, I have 6 Chelsea ships bells, 1 Hamilton 21 and 1 Hamilton 22 chronometers plus the plus the Black and Murray. In answer the your anticipated question, no I did not serve in the Navy. In 1968 and earlier the Navy had several carriers burn with great loss of life, I didn't want to burn to death. Joined the Army instead and served in Vietnam with the 101st. Patrick

12. Shipsbell

NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nick here are the pictures of the Murray clock I promised. As you can see it's in a state of repair. Patrick

20200326_145230.jpg 20200326_145405.jpg 20200326_145801.jpg 20200326_145812.jpg

13. NickW27

NickW27 Registered User

Aug 19, 2019
    Male
    Plymouth, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Patrick, Thank you for the photos. I see that it is in a "state of repair". I think that that would be called "disrepair" over here! My Bliss & Creighton is 10mm narrower although they appear identical from the photos. It's that day here today when the clocks change but at least it is a great deal easier to put them forward than back.
    Keep well.
    Regards
    Nick