Small unknown wall clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Natedog, Nov 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Natedog

Natedog Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Wagon Driver. previously a roadside mechanic
    The Cotswolds
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This clock belonged to the other half's Nan, and was her kitchen clock when she lived in the house we now live in. When she died, the other half's parents had it in their house, where unfortunately it got damaged by a house fire in the 90s, and since then has been sat in their loft awaiting attention.

IMAG1080.jpg

The lighter coloured patch above the face is where someone has removed the scorched varnish, presumably to see if it was worth doing anything with.

For starters, I removed all the cooked varnish and then polished the case up with some briwax. It now looks as presentable as its going to, so can go on the wall to stop it getting damaged.

I can't see any markings on the movement, other than '29cm' stamped on the rear

The case is about 19" or 480mm tall

IMG-20191116-WA0001.jpeg

IMAG1081.jpg

It's a little hard to see, but you can just make it out in the mirror.

I'm guessing it's probably around 1930s ish. She got married around that time and moved to this house. I figured it was the sort of thing that could have been a wedding / setting up home present? Other than that, do any of you have any clue as to the maker or country?

There's a decorative piece that needs re-attaching to the top. There was one at the bottom originally too, but that is now missing so I need to make a replacement. Is it likely that the bottom one would have been similar shape to the top but without the carving? The case has the same slot top and bottom for gluing it on

IMAG1084.jpg

Top:
    IMAG1086.jpg

Botttom: IMAG1085.jpg

As always, any pointers you could give me would be hugely appreciated :)

2. Natedog

Natedog Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    The Cotswolds
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I should add that although the face is grubby and a bit rusty, I'm not planning on cleaning it. I don't want to risk accidentally removing the numbers and markings, and the rust appeared after the fire (acidic smoke maybe?) so shows some of the history

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 new2clocks, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Your clock is commonly known as a "box clock" and I agree with your estimate of 1930 (+ / -) for its manufacture.

It is almost certainly German.

The clock was most likely made by Mauthe or Kienzle, as those manufacturers were in existence in 1930 and they made many box clocks.

A picture of the back of the clock would be most helpful, as there are contributors to this board who can identify unmarked German movements.

Also, a picture of the gong block could provide clues to the manufacturer.

Regards.

4. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just noticed you are located in the U.K.

If the clock was originally purchased in the U.K., and if it is confirmed that the clock is not of U.K. origin, then I would date the clock to earlier than 1926, when a U.K. law was in effect that required the country of origin to be imprinted on the movement and the dial.

Regards.

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think new2clocks meant 'the back of the movement', rather than the clock itself. And yes, that might be very helpful.

I agree, it's almost certainly a German clock.

JTD

Natedog likes this.
  6. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I meant the back of the movement.:oops::)

Regards.

Natedog likes this.
  7. Natedog

Natedog Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    The Cotswolds
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your input :)

I've dropped the movement out of it this evening and taken a few more photos of it:

IMAG1110.jpg

IMAG1111.jpg

IMAG1112.jpg

The 29cm appears to relate to the total pendulum length