Small socket source(s)

Raymond Snead

Jan 25, 2021
I am working on restoring an Ansonia mantle clock. The case is in pretty bad shape as can be seen. The movement overhaul has been uneventful. The gold trim on the case is held on in two places per each piece of trim with bolts going through holes in the case. I assumed getting the nuts off the bolts would be easy until I figured out that I needed a 1/8" deep well socket. There is a 3/8" nut and what looks like a rubber washer under each 1/8" as spacers/cushions. The 3/8" nut does not engage the threads. Can anyone suggest a source for a socket this small or an alternative method of getting these nuts off? The bolts are pretty long, much longer than they need to be IMO complicating the problem. Photos are attached. THANKS in advance for any and all assistance.

Ansonia Front View.jpeg IMG_7405.jpeg IMG_7404.jpeg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Xcelite P4. The old ones have hollow shafts, duno about the newer ones from (where else) China.

Easy enough to make an offset 1/8" end wrench. Willie X

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Looks like you need a tube spanner. Mostly which are not made in the size you want.
Myself, I'd use pliers or end nippers to loosen the nuts then remove by hand carefully. If you don't break anything then when removed the bolts can be shortened so that any socket or nut driver will fit.

Reactions: Willie X

Raymond Snead

Jan 25, 2021
I appreciate the ideas. I'm concerned about a nut driver because some of the bolts are pretty long. I think I'm going to take roughbarked advice and see if I can get the rest of them off. I've removed one so far and it wasn't all that bad.

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I cant tell in the photos if they would work, but is it possible to get a ratcheting wrench in there?

Raymond Snead

Jan 25, 2021
I can't tell in the photos if they would work, but is it possible to get a ratcheting wrench in there?
The short answer to the ratchet question is yes. However, if there is a hard way of doing something I will figure it out. Taking earlier advice, I started backing the nuts off with pliers and they started turning. It turns out that the nuts are attached to screws that are very difficult if not impossible to see from the outside. Holding the nut and turning the screw with a micro-screwdriver is a lot easier than trying to turn the nut although some screw heads are so dirty and corroded, I don't know if I will be able to get all of them out. Here are some more pictures. THANKS to everyone for their help. The next phase of this project will be to clean and refinish the trim pieces that I will address in a new thread.

IMG_7468.jpeg IMG_7469.jpeg IMG_7470.jpeg IMG_7471.jpeg IMG_7458.jpeg IMG_7457.jpeg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
"Clean and refinish the trim" oh my! It looks great to me. As long as you know your heading down a 'slippery slope' and probably de-valueing your clock. It's your call ... :excited: Willie X

Reactions: roughbarked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteABC123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-