Small scale casting

Viennaman

May 23, 2005
One of the weight pulley cages on my first (favourite) regulators has broken. It's a fatigue break right across one of the cage halves, and the broken edges are necked down and crystalline.

I've been unable to source even a close replacement, and the clock's currently running with two modern but inappropriate-looking replacements.

I have its identical twin from the other side to use as a casting pattern, and it's a flat piece of brass. It struck me it would be a really quick and easy job to cast a replacement. However, does anyone know if any brass foundry would be likely even to consider a minor one-off job like that?

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
VM
Could it be fabricated from strip? Any chance of a picture of the good one?

I wouldn't hold out any hope from a foundry, and it would probably still need machining after it has been cast. :frown:

stewart

Aug 25, 2004
Hello Viennaman

I can cast up to 2 lb per pour. It's never easy and it's never quick, but post a picture of what you need. As Mike suggests is it possible to be made from plate?

Stewart

Bill Ward

NAWCC Member
Jan 8, 2003
USA
If the originals are ornate, could they perhaps be repaired by brazing or epoxying on a re-inforcement strip on the inside of the cage, where it'd be less visible?
If England is like the US, it's very difficult to find a small foundry willing o do this sort of work. I suggest you ask at an art school, where they teach sculpture or jewellr ymaking. Some of the students might have a small foundry.

Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
Country
Region
Hello Viennaman

I can cast up to 2 lb per pour. It's never easy and it's never quick, but post a picture of what you need. As Mike suggests is it possible to be made from plate?

Stewart

Stewart

Here is a picture of what I am trying to duplicate, I need 4 of them.

It is brass and I have a very good resing copy of the lower part of the finial that I need.

If any one can help please respond.

I NEED THEM IN BRASS ONLY AND ONLY THE FLOWER PART, THE TALL FINIAL I AM HAVING TURNED ON A LATHE.

1 1/2 INCHES WIDE AND 3/4 INCHES HIGH.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave B

Banned
Jun 7, 2008
Westminster. MD
Country
Baltimore Knife and Sword can and will do small one-off casting jobs. Their emphasis is primarily on sword and knife making, but they often cast unusual pieces for use as hilts, pommels, etc. and usually do not make more than one or two of any given pattern. So they are used to dealing with small quantity casting work. here is a link to their website. The partners, Matt and Kerry Stagmer, happen to be my cousins, but I get no kickback or anything like that from them, and have no vested interest in their business. www.baltimoreknife.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinSer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller