$ Small Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by macaw, Feb 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    #1 macaw, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    An elderly friend has some watches, and I'd like to get some info about them as well as an idea of value. This is the first one 296080.jpg 296081.jpg

DSCN4633.jpg DSCN4634.jpg

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 doug sinclair, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
    Arriving at a meaningful opinion of price will likely involve hands on evaluation to determine metal content and checking the stones to identlfy them.

3. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    I was mainly hoping someone might recognize them. I doubt any of them have much metal as they're mostly encased in glass. And the stones in this one are probably glass. Any value would be in their collectability as antique watches.

4. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    #4 macaw, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
    All of this is well understood as I have sold many clocks, antiques, and autos over the years.
    I still think you're missing the point of (hoping someone would recognize them and be able to give me any information) totally aside from monetary value. I would have posted these elsewhere, but then I would not have been able to ask in anyway, if these and the many others he has should be professionally appraised (I am trying to find someone)

5. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Actually.Macaw, I have seen quite a few of these ball-watches, and your particular one has a familiar look.Unfortunately, I can't help you with a valuation because I have never followed such watches; but you are right that someone may be able to give you a very rough idea of what similar watches have fetched at auction in the past.

You might be surprised to find that the "diamonds" in the case may not be glass - my general recollection is that they are diamonds. But even if they are, I doubt that they would be of a size, cut or quality to make much difference to the value of the watch.

I hope someone passes by who can help you more than I can :)