Small French travel clock with carriage clock movement

Chris Maher

Nov 11, 2017
Country
I bought this small French travel clock on Ebay two months ago and it has just arrived. It is signed on the dial G Keller Paris but apart from that I cannot work out who made the clock. It is only 70mm tall and has a carriage s-l1600-22.jpg s-l1600-21.jpg IMG_0437.jpg clock movement with the alarm set from a dial on the back plate. I vaguely recall seeing a LeRoy et Cie miniature humpback with the alarm set in this fashion but I now cannot find the pictures on the web. I think I need Zedric's advice :)

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
You could take off the bell and see if there is any further indentification behind it.

Keller was probably the retailer.

JTD

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
There were a number of makers who used an alarm dial setting on the backplate, from Breguet down.Ed Chartier, Leroy etc all used this. From why I have seen, it was generally in better quality clocks made later in the 1800s or into the 1900s, like this one. Unfortunately it isn’t characteristic of any one maker, but taking the bell off may help find any marks, and also sometimes looking between the movement plates..

Chris Maher

Nov 11, 2017
Country
Good suggestion JTD, but unfortunately no maker's marks underneath. From what I have found on the web Gustave Keller was a silversmith who retailed luxury travel goods and tableware. I agree with you that he is likely the retailer of the clock because when you look at the range of goods Keller sold it would be difficult to make them all.

I was trying to see if I could identify the maker. Looks like it becomes another one of the 'anonymous maker' clocks in my collection.

The good news for an eBay purchase is that it has run for a day and kept accurate time. Plan is to take it to a local NAWCC member to service.

IMG_0438.jpg

Chris Maher

Nov 11, 2017
Country
There were a number of makers who used an alarm dial setting on the backplate, from Breguet down.Ed Chartier, Leroy etc all used this. From why I have seen, it was generally in better quality clocks made later in the 1800s or into the 1900s, like this one. Unfortunately it isn’t characteristic of any one maker, but taking the bell off may help find any marks, and also sometimes looking between the movement plates..
Thanks Zedric. I just posted a picture of backplate with bell removed. No marks unfortunately.

I will have to wait until it is serviced to see if anything is revealed between the movement plates. I was planning to take a look myself but it is pretty tight in the case and the movement seems to be attached to the case in a strange way. It seems to be screwed to the front face of case rather than the base. There are holes in back plate near top right pillar and bottom left pillar to access those fixing screws but I figure I would likely damage something. I think I will wait.

Leigh Extence

May 27, 2012
Exeter, UK
www.extence.co.uk
Country
Region
Chris,
How intriguing!
I have had two carriage clocks recently that had the alarm disc on the backplate. Both by Drocourt. And your movement does have the two holes below the platform that we see on both Drocourt and H.L. (Holingue) clocks. But the serial number, arrow style and wheel layout don't match up for DC, so we may have to disregard that idea.
Leigh

Chris Maher

Nov 11, 2017
Country
Nice little clock! I don't recall ever having seen R and A stamped on the edge of the platform like that either - neat touch.
Thanks for your reply Christopher. I had not really noticed the marks on the platform. Well spotted!

I mainly collect miniature carriage clocks, and while this is not technically a carriage clock I quite liked the look of it and it seems to have been well made.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Great display cabinet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aikenhudson
Encyclopedia Pages