Small clock clean / repair

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ScotSun, Jan 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found a small, $8 clock in a broken up celluloid case hidden away in an antique mall...

upload_2018-1-14_16-48-51.png
    upload_2018-1-14_16-49-42.png

...that I am considering cleaning and putting into a piece of wood I have for an office desk clock.

upload_2018-1-14_16-50-47.png

It has a broken spring but also needs a good cleaning. I have disassembled it almost all the way down but I cannot see how the main hand gear comes off of the face back...

upload_2018-1-14_16-51-36.png
    upload_2018-1-14_16-52-18.png
    upload_2018-1-14_16-53-5.png

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated...

Also. it looks like it is missing something that would screw onto the winding arbor. If anyone has an idea of how to replace or jury-rig something for winding, that will also need to be addressed.

I posted about this clock in the "New Acquisitions" thread as well and JTD thought it might be a german movement, possibly from the '30s. If any one has any other thoughts...

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scot if you don t need to take that off I would leave it alone. Others will be along to answer your other questions.

David

3. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you can ascertain the threads on the winding arbor let us know and there may be some suitable winding keys in someone's bone yard.

4. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The small gear on the front is pressed onto its shaft and can be removed by pressing it back out, but don't do it: it's almost always unnecessary and there's a chance of damaging the clock.

The last adventure I had with anything like your missing winding arbor involved the setting knob on an electric clock. It had a left-handed thread and I was out of ideas until I found a large-diameter brass bushing with a 2mm hole through the middle. I broached out the hole a bit at a time with a tapered cutting broach until the bushing would start to jam onto the threaded-steel shaft. After annealing the brass bushing I was able to use the shaft as a sort of tap, stopping my efforts when the bushing seemed secure. I was then able to solder sort of crossbar onto the bushing, and now you can set the clock.

It's a shame about that case. I rather like it and wonder if it can be restored.

M Kinsler

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those kinds of clocks often wind CCW, and the teeth are left threaded. A proper key will turn onto the threads CCW, tighten and enable the clock to be wound.

6. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First, thank you all for your assistance...

This is a blow up of one of the shots I took while disassembling the clock... I do not know if you can tell from this photo, I will need to go have another look but it does appear to be CCW as others have indicated...

upload_2018-1-17_9-11-55.png

...If anyone knows where I can get one that would work, that would be great. If they are standard and I just need to find another old, cheap wind-up clock, I will start looking.

7. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Timesavers sell a mixed assortment of suitable keys (#10600). One of them should fit your clock.

JTD

8. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry for the newbie question but what does #10600 indicate?
    thanks

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is just the item number of their catalog. You can order online at www.timesavers.com

Uhralt

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005

Sorry, I should have made clear that is the Timesavers catalog number. If you go to their website and put 10600 in the search box you can see the item.

JTD

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  12. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Uhralt already gave him one in post #9, which was why I didn't.

JTD

13. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks all!

14. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sweet! May not seem like much but got it all reassembled and it seems to be ticking along...(pardon the pun)...

Still need to get an actual key as I wound it with pliers...

DeskClock.gif

15. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, get a key. You'll mar up the winding square with pliers, and will have to do more work to get it right again.

16. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just an FYI... I did purchase the set of 72 keys as recommended above and was a bit disappointed. I thought that in that many, there would be one that fit. However they are all basically the exact same winder key with the exact same thread size (too big for my clock). The only difference in the 72 keys was the handle configuration of which there were 6 different styles.

17. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had the same problem with the assortment from Timesavers. Mine was a left hand thread, and some odd number for the thread count, but surprisingly I found a place that sold the tap. Got some tiny brass pipe and tapped it. Made a slot in the top and crimped in a tab. A lot of effort, but it did work. Later, I found it easier with the little New Havens to just look for a donor movement that had its key.

18. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So I bought "c-31" clock winder for this clock from ebay for just a few bucks and it appears to be the correct size but is is a right-hand thread.

Does anyone know where I can get a left-threaded winder of this size? The clock is otherwise operational now and I would like to finish it up...

Thanks!

19. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No idea what clock you’re talking about, or what a c31clock winder is .... photos?

20. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    If you look at the early posts you will see very well what clock he is talking about. He has posted photos.

JTD

21. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    oops… I was on a mobile device and thought that was the first post!

Still don’t know what that Winder is, though… Assuming it’s some kind of electric thing?

22. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    no it is the actual winding knob that has a left hand female thread.

DAvid

23. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Like many alarm clocks have.

Uhralt

24. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    No it's nothing electric. If you read post #18 (and earlier) you will see that he is talking about a key to wind up his clock.The one he bought was the right size but he needs one with a left handed thread.

Clear now?

JTD

And now I see that two other people have explained it for you.

25. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    no need for snark... this is a nomenclature issue. he's not looking for a standard winding key. he's looking for more of a threaded winding knob that threads on the winding arbor as with travel/alarm clocks. the 'knob' might look like a key, don't know... but it ain't a standard 'winding key'... which is the term that was used in a bunch of posts here.

what is being discussed is a 'left-threaded knob female'... and a simple google search will offer up at least some places worth researching.

or, you could try to find the right tap and make your own.