Slow striking

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Clockinit, Nov 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clockinit

Clockinit Registered User

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    People...Dad's clock is back up and running...All strikes are striking correctly and the beat is set and the crutch adjusting wheel peg is now in the correct position ..Had plenty of input from obviously knowledgeable people...Now my issue, before I do final assy, is the hour strikes are really pretty slow. Chimes seem up to speed...just to re-itterate. this was the 50 year old Emperor Clock kit with the Erhardt Jauch movement...Thoughts please.....

2. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First thing to check, you have the 2nd heavest weight on the strike and the lightest on the time if they are different?

3. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes Sir, they are correct......

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    How high are the hammers being lifted? It shouldn't be more than about 3/4".
    WIllie X

5. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How slow are they, think Big Ben, they do not run as fast as the chime anyway, a clear 'dong' then time to stop vibrating before another. If the time between each 'dong' is different then it could be a problem, however if the time between is about the same it may be set up at that interval?

6. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The 'dong' spacing seems very similar on all of them. . Is there an adjustment for the hammer lift? Because the hammers are definitly being lifted more than 3/4"...Just to be clear, is that 3/4" or
    3-4 inches? Because the lift IS 3-4 inches... newpicsclock1.jpg newpicsclock2.jpg newpicsclock3.jpg

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    That thumbscrew should adjust the stroke length. Once the stroke length is correct, the distance from the hammers to the rods will need to be re-adjusted.

The hammer wires are already bent way foward. So, it would be best to straighten the rods and reposition the hub on the hammer shaft, if possible.

You could go for a 1 1/4" stroke on that clock for starters.

If you have a 4" stroke, someone may have monkeyed with the lifting mechinism in an effort to get more volume?

WIllie X

8. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may not have enough power does the clock need bushings, or if you did that you may have a bad one, these movements wear badly and that could be a problem.

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    What is the actual weight of the strike weigh you are using? I have an original Jauch (77?) clock I can check. I can also check the striking rate per 10 seconds, if you are intetested. Willie X

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also the lift lever needs a nice polish. If you have grooves cut into it, it will need to be refaced or replaced. You can make a decent replacement by hammering out some steel wire into a paddle shape and inserting it like it is now. Hardening it is optional, but it will last longer if you do. Also check that the lift wheel teeth are smooth and not bent at the tips.

11. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I will double check the weight...I shortened the lift on the hammers to the rods and there seems to be a little difference in speed. Almost to the point, I can live with it...considering the age... I was wondering if There was more weight on the Strike weight. I read in one of Steve Conovers books that ADDING minimal weight, say 15% is acceptable...Thoughts...
    Ipbp...This movement absolutely has wear. It is 50 years old,and I gotta believe Dad never re-bushed it...

12. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Willie X...the strike wight is 7.8 lbs...

13. Dick Feldman

Dick Feldman Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    Colorado, usa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is not a Jauch 77 movement. It is the large frame, thick plate triple chime movement.
    Weights should be near:

Time: 7 LB, 3 Oz
    Strike: 7 LB, 11 Oz
    Chime: 10 LB, 9 Oz

Being old will not make a movement need bushings.
    Being old and having been run a long time will.
    If the movement has never been run, it should not need to be bushed.
    You seem to have a power issue.
    Maybe that is due to a bent pivot or not enough arbor end play (called end shake with clocks)
    I have found these movements to not have sufficient arbor end play when near new.
    You will be looking for causes of excessive friction.

Dick

14. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, it is the larger Erhart Jauch movement

15. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do a quick check of the pivot holes, take the weight off, start on the bottom wheel and move it back and forth and look for any play, do the same to all the wheels. You can also try lifting the rack stop lever and let it run as when you cleaned it you may have left a bit of gunk in a pivot hole and the momentum it builds up may be enough to clear it out. I don't think it is a slightly bent pivot as the fly would go slow and fast.

16. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I don't have one of those but the big Urgos movements of that time period did normally strike slowly.

The word 'slow' is not very helpful. 10 strikes in xx seconds would ne more helpful.

WIllie X

17. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys ...will do all that after chow...

18. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    So guys...did all the above and Strikes are liveable...11 strikes in 17 seconds....every 1.5 seconds...I'm good with that.there's a noticeable difference....Again Thank You-Thank You for the help
    Last issue....Then i wanna seal this puppy up, and clean up the case and move on to the next project....
    Pendulum Wobble...The suspension spring is new...I saw Merrits advertising in their catalouge a heavy duty suspension spring to eliminate pendulum wobble..How will that affect the running of the clock?...

19. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #19 Uhralt, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    If the suspension spring is new and not kinked, it is likely not causing the problem. More likely the crutch fork isn't pushing the pendulum rod exactly parallel to the movement plate. Make sure that the fork isn't bent sideward. Another reason might be that the suspension spring has too much play where it the upper end is attached. Then the slot needs to be tightened, but not too much. The spring must still be able to move forward and backward without too much friction.

Uhralt

20. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Thats a normal strike speed for a big clock. I dont think you need a "heavy duty" spring, just a new spring that fits should do it. Willie X

21. Dick Feldman

Dick Feldman Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    Colorado, usa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The post that comes off of the rear of the crutch should be perpendicular to the rear plate of the clock. If that is “pushing” the pendulum on an angle, it can cause the pendulum to wobble.
    If the pendulum bob is not parallel to the rear plate when resting, every time the crutch pushes the pendulum it will have a tendency to make the pendulum wobble. Is your suspension spring twisted?
    Me thinks the strike train on your movement is operating too slow and that condition will likely become worse with time and eventually fail. A sequence of one strike per second or less would be more acceptable. Look for friction in the strike train like a tight pivot in a hole, a bent pivot, etc.
    JMHO.

It is hard to get to the crux of the posts with all of the *!#%^&(+ ads.

Dick

22. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    OK!...so on close, close inspection the Crutch fork was 'twisted' ever so slightly. the peg needed to be bent downwards, ever so slightly, the slit in the post needed to be closed up and the bob to the pendulum was so, so ever out of whack....all those Adjustmentd and I have ZERO wobble...WOW!!!...THaNKS TO ALL!!! I"M putting the back and side access covers on, cleaning the case & calling it a DONE deal!!! I will be back here when I start my next project,,, Got my eye on a HOWARD MILLER....No pendulum, no weights...Supposedly 'RUNS GREAT' We'll See...Will get back to you Guys...YOU ROCK!!