Slow Pennwood Motor

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Larry48075, Jun 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Larry48075

Larry48075 Registered User

Mar 23, 2009
    Michigan, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am trying to restore a Pennwood "KRECTIME" clock from 7-39. The motor/movement seemed to be in great condition, except for crumbling wire insulation, so I gave the insides a good cleaning and attached a new cord and reassembled everything. Even though the motor seems to be spinning as I would expect, the output shaft turns at perhaps 1/3 the speed which it should. I thought that I might have put the gears back in the wrong places, but there doesn't seem to be any other was to arrange them. Can someone suggest what i might be missing? This is a very nice clock, and I would sure like for it to keep time properly.

Thank You

Larry

IMG_2879.JPG IMG_2880.JPG

2. Larry48075

Mar 23, 2009
    Michigan, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Never mind. I figured it out.

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't leave us in the dark. What was wrong?

Uhralt

4. Larry48075

Mar 23, 2009
    Michigan, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was apparently simply a matter of dirt and old oil preventing the rotor from spinning properly. When I first looked at it, it seemed to be spinning well, but when I looked at another one of these, I saw that the other one was faster. I gave the rotor a good spraying with contact cleaner and a drop of oil, and it worked much better. Unfortunately, like all of my Pennwood clocks, this one is a bit noisy, though it is better than some.

Larry

PennwoodKrectimeFront.jpg PennwoodKrectimeBottom.jpg

5. captainclock

captainclock Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Male
    Custodian
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those are neat clocks, I've always wanted one of those, I've only ever seen pictures of those, but never saw one in person before.

There was a guy on YouTube that converted one of those into a nixie tube frequency counter, look up Mr. Carlson's Lab on YouTube and you'll see the video I'm talking about.