Slow it down, How do I do it?

Popi

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2010
Whidbey Island, WA. U.S.A.
Country
Region
I just cleaned and rebushed a ST mantle clock that hasn't run in 30 years, I have dropped the pendulum and Bob as far as allowable by way of the S and F arbor on the front of the movement and the darned thing still runs too fast. what do I do?
Otherwise the clock performs splendidly.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Maybe the rod that holds the pendulum is too short or you need a thinner suspension spring.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If the pendulum bob is original, what Veri said should be the route to follow. If the pendulum is not original, one with a longer bail, larger diameter, or an adjustable wire should do the trick.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It might need a longer suspension spring too. How much room do you have under the pendulum?

Douglas Ballard

Dec 2, 2011
Alma, MI
Country
Region
I've had a few of these, you run out of adjustment. I either shorten the rod (if it runs too slow) or put an adjustable pendulum on it. I would time it over several days before you cut anything. Is the clock well oiled?

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
What type of movement are we talking about, an 89, or other? It sounds like an 89 type, when you adjust the F/S, is it actually moving the chops down, sometimes the gear is stripped and won't work, although it will turn.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If it's an 89, a new hanger from his bundle of rods would be the easy fix.

Popi

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2010
Country
Region
how would I know if it were an 89? I tried a new hanger as you called it and it still runs fast. an hour a day fast. I have ordered an assortment of suspentsion feathers from timesavers hopefully that will correct the issue.

Thank you for your responce.

Popi

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2010
Country
Region
The clock is clean, rebushed, and well oiled, and runs gerat other than running fast. there is about .5 cm between the bob and gong.

Thanks for your responce. Popi

Popi

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2010
Country
Region
thanks Veritas, I ordered an assortment of suspension springs after trying a new longer pendulum rod (no change) and added a quarter to the bob to see if ther would be a change. there was no noticeable difference.

Popi

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Ipbp
the gears are not stripped and the chops move as far as the bottom stop.

thank you for responding. Popi
I'm not sure if this was just informational, but you'll want the chops both at the top of the spring to slow it down. When making a new hanger, make it longer (maybe an inch longer) than the old one. You can always cut some more off, but can't put any more on :)

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
An hour per day? Reads like about or at least a quarter of an inch it needs to be longer. Do you have that much room at the bottom?

Popi

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2010
Country
Region
Still running to fast!

I have rebushed, cleaned, reassembled, and oiled a Seth Thomas mantel clock (not my first). I have tried different suspension spring thicknesses and lengths', I have lowered the bob so that it sweeps within the proverbial gnat's hair above the gong, I added a quarter to the bob for extra weight and the confounded clock still runs fast. picking up about an hour or so a day. what can I do next? a side from stoping the clock everyday to let time catch up with it.

Popi

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Re: Still running to fast!

Popi,
I have had a similar problem in the past when replacing a suspension spring and have corrected the problem by reducing the thickness with emery paper.
You say you tried different thickness of suspension springs. Did you not see any change in the rate with the different springs?
g

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region

With a clock running fast so much two thing come to mind. Is the movement original to the case? Maybe it was made for a case with space for a longer pendulum. If no to the first question, is the escapement skipping a tooth or more than one? Try to bring the verge a little closer to the escapement wheel so that it just unlocks. You may need to look for one or more short teeth.

Hope this helps,

Uhralt

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008

You indicate that the pendulum is hitting the "gong", that would be unusual, the floor of the clock is the usual culprit. Posting a picture of the problem area might help us see what is happening. An hour in a day will take around another 1/4" or more length. Not normal, or good, to have anything at the "gnat's hair" distance from the pendulum.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

I'm pretty sure that either Uhralt or Willie have the solution here. Either the EW is skipping or the pendulum isn't as low as it needs to be.

Popi

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2010
Country
Region

the pendulum bob is not hitting the gong. the bob is "a gnat's hair" from it. I don't own a didgital camera so a picture is out of the question

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

the pendulum bob is not hitting the gong. the bob is "a gnat's hair" from it. I don't own a didgital camera so a picture is out of the question
Hard to advise without seeing what you see. Can't the gong be moved so it's not close to the pendulum?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008

An hour in a day will take around another 1/4" or more length. Not normal, or good, to have anything at the "gnat's hair" distance from the pendulum.

Willie X
OK, it's missing the gong ... Then maybe you can share with us what the pendulum is hitting at the bottom. The thing that is stopping you from LOWERING the pendulum further. :confused:

I don't think this was clear in the previous post. The pendulum should not be very close to anything in any direction. :cop:

Hard to keep up with a split post, the OP should just continue the old thread. It would make matters much easier to follow.

Willie X

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

OK, it's missing the gong ... Then maybe you can share with us what the pendulum is hitting at the bottom. The thing that is stopping you from LOWERING the pendulum further. :confused:

I don't think this was clear in the previous post. The pendulum should not be very close to anything in any direction. :cop:

Hard to keep up with a split post, the OP should just continue the old thread. It would make matters much easier to follow.

Willie X
Willie, I tacked his original thread onto the bottom of this one. I agree, it's difficult to advise without some pictures to understand why a longer pendulum rod won't fix the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian Cooney
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller