• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Slow cuckoo train

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
I was wondering what the most likely cause of slow cuckooing might be, it seems to happen often. I have bushed several lower bearings on both plates. I try to get the new bearings large enough and burnished well for low friction. The uppers look to be in good shape. Any ideas? Thanks, Danny

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
How does it act with the bellows unhooked?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
DD,
What weights? And, is there any animation hooked to the bellows?
Willie X

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Sorry, I didn't study what was happening while it was on the test stand. I didn't put the lifters in at that time. It seemed to be working fine.
It is cuckoo only with 1200 gm or maybe it is 1260 It is hard to see.
Thanks, Danny

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Stiff old bellows. Take them out and clamp them shut.
If it's not that, maybe the weight is wrong, or you need to check the strike train again. Did you polish the pivots and make sure that all the holes are in good shape?

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If it's a Regula, 1500gm weights are recommended, although some seem to do just fine on the 1260gm weights that many of the older ones were shipped with. Willie X

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Thinking that the second bellow is lifting too high. In other words, the sound is lasting too long. Give the lift wire a little more bend.
Vernon

Reactions: Chris D

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Yes, I bushed all of the chain wheel bearings so, on the back, I did SB1, SB3, SB4, and the front SF1, SF2, SF3, and SF4. The fan bearings looked ok. I took it back apart this morning and checked for tight pivots and that's when I bushed SB4. I tested it without the bellows and it seemed fine. The bellows looked to be fairly new and done well. They have a leather hinge and original type cuckoo paper. :???:
Could it be too much lift on the bellows causing the train to never get up to speed? I've watched it quite a few times and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe you can see it in the video.
Thanks for the help. This happens often when I work on cuckoos. Thanks, Danny

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Ok, Thanks, I'll find out what weights the owner has. I didn't keep his weights and I'm using some 1260's that I have here. I'll have another look at that bellow too. Thanks, Danny

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
1500 is too much if it's just time and cuckoo. The 1360s would be better on a rebuilt movement. I try to get my rebuilds to run on less than 1000g. This way there is plenty of room for error. Also a possibility you have an out of place bushing. The SB2 was ok? I'd double check it if you had wear going up to the 4th position.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yes, 8-Day cuckoo's will have a shorter bellows stroke and usually a lighter slug in the bellows top.

"Leather hinge" doesn't sound right.

Willie X

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
"Leather hinge" doesn't sound right.

Willie X
I've seen this repair many times. Manufacturers seems to have used a different material for the hinge of the bellows than the rest of the covering many times. In these instances, the material for the whole bellows is usually a whit cloth like material and the hinge that is split is usually a yellowish color and a different material. The cloth cover is usually in great shape and if it is, you can carefully pull back the corners of the cover on the back and put a new tyvek hinge on.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Yeah, It may not be leather. It just has that yellowish color like some of the older cuckoos had and I was told that it was leather. Either way, It seems to be in good shape.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Judging from the responses I got this slow cuckoo is not as common as is for me and there's no magic answer. A couple of you suggested shorting the below lift stroke. I did just that and this is the result. The first video is the original post vid. and the second one I did today. I think it's acceptable and will work this way for years to come. That remains to be seen. Thanks for all the great help, Danny

Reactions: Vernon

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
The speed is fine as well as the lift. I think someone changes the whistles at some point: has a strange tone.

Reactions: disciple_dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nauman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-