Slit in Loop of Spring

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by derwiener, Nov 29, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. derwiener

derwiener Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2009
    While disassembling a Gilbert clock, I noticed that the loops of both springs were slit across the width of the spring [Picture below] The slits are straight and even, and do not appear to be stress breaks. They do not interfere with the loop of the spring held around the post or the operation of the clock. I'm wondering if there is a reason for these slits? Slit Spring.jpg
    Thank you!

Paul

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Paul not sure I understand..It looks to me that is just the end of the spring and then the part that goes around a post is riveted on. Perhaps I am not seeing the same slit that you are.

David

3. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm seeing the same as David, and think perhaps the loops were added to new springs, perhaps the new springs were too long, hence them being riveted to the ends.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Paul,
    They are made that way. The clock does not need to be disassembled to replace or service a spring. Just let the spring down into a retainer clip, remove the special collar at the winding arbor and unsnap the spring from around the post, your done, spring is out.
    Willie X

5. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting, don't see many US clocks myself willie. Is it just Gilbert that made the ends open like that as opposed to the closed loop ends seen on other US clocks?

6. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Out of all the clocks, Gilbert included, I've not seen this, I'd guess it was modified to keep from taking the movement apart.

7. Jay Fortner

Jay Fortner Registered User

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Haven't seen a set of those in a while. Like Willie said,they were made that way but you still have to blow the movement apart to remove them from the winding arbors.

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    After removing the screws in the retainer, the spring and its arbor just slides out. Spring clips allow easy removal of the spring from its post. No movement disassembly required. Not really that practical today as you can't buy the springs with special clips and it's a good bit of trouble to make them.

ST made a late #89 (D?) with removable half plate. This was a much more practical approach, as you can use common loop end springs.

Willie X