• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Slip fit

bytes2doc

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2009
Tennessee
Country
Region
I'm in the midst of making the motion works on Bill Smith's skeletal clock design. He states there is a slip-fit of the cannon pinon onto the center arbor. I take this a a nice fit but not tight. That being said, then the cannon pinon would just spin on the arbor, so what would drive the motion works? Or does a slip fit mean a tight fit such that the cannon pinon rotates with the arbor?

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
By definition "slip fit" means that the pieces join together with no slop and with as little friction as practical. You want the clearance to be about .002" (.05mm) for a 0.25" (6mm) pin joint. With a blind hole a "perfect" slip fit of a cylindrical joint will be one of those where you get that glorious "pop" when you pull the pin out. I don't know the specifics of his build - is there some other doodad that provides the friction necessary to drive the hands, like a domed washer or something? If not then it seems likely that at some point you'll put a dimple in the cannon pinion to provide the friction. Or something,

Hope this helps.

Glen

bytes2doc

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2009
Tennessee
Country
Region
By definition "slip fit" means that the pieces join together with no slop and with as little friction as practical. You want the clearance to be about .002" (.05mm) for a 0.25" (6mm) pin joint. With a blind hole a "perfect" slip fit of a cylindrical joint will be one of those where you get that glorious "pop" when you pull the pin out. I don't know the specifics of his build - is there some other doodad that provides the friction necessary to drive the hands, like a domed washer or something? If not then it seems likely that at some point you'll put a dimple in the cannon pinion to provide the friction. Or something,

Hope this helps.

Glen
Thanks for the reply Glen. That is what I was thinking and so thought a press-fit would be better. There is a domed washer in the build as I recall, but will check it as I’m heading to the shop now.

thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TanyaJune
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-