Sleepworking!

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Scottie-TX, Nov 24, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yain't gonna beleive this; Well maybe a few will. I fixed this clock in my sleep. No I cannot say for a fact I was sleeping but I certainly wasn't coherent as one would normally wanna be to fix a clock.
    It's one of them shelf sitter BUCO wags with a verge escapement and tensator spring. I guess I've had it for six months or more. I gave it the royal treatment as I would any other but on completion found it wouldn't sustain motion. It would stop mysteriously for no apparent reason. I forgot how often I dismantled and reassembled it after making adjustments that did seem to improve it but not 100%. Finally I started marking pinion leaves. I was certain of a meshing problem but the problem continued to elude me. Set aside for over a month as I thought about it, still couldn't muster motivation to return.

2. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Scottie-TX, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Thur. morn bedded down as usual about 2:AM I guess. Laid there a long time; couldn't sleep. Got up, piddled around and back to bed about 3:AM. Same deal . Still no sleep. ~ 4:30 A.M. I'm laying there thinking: "I'm gonna fix that clock!" I am. I'm gonna!
    So I get up, dismantle clock far as needed, found the problem VERY quickly and reassembled, working flawlessly on a half revolution of winder. Entire process took less than an hour.

3. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Scottie-TX, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    First I studied lash between drive wheel and T2 pinion. I'd rock T2 against the drive wheel testing lash for several revolutions. There was ALWAYS sufficient lash - a few thou or more. Then I rocked T2 against the escape wheel pinionl. VOILA!
    I found ONE place where lash was ZERO. Nada. That's it. No doubt. Moved the two apart a few thou and done.
    Back to bed. Clock fixed - in my stupor of failed sleep. Sleepworking - may not be for everyone.

Attached Files:

4. Tony10Clocks

Tony10Clocks Registered User

Aug 10, 2010
    Northant's
    Country Flag:
    And when you wake up tomorrow you'll find it all to be a dream..zzz..................... Nice one

5. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scottie,

I can understand completely.
    All my life I have been interested in mechanical things. (cars, clocks, engines, electrical gadgets, etc.) Many of my best accomplishments have been while I slept. Wake up from a dead sleep with the answer to my mechanical problem as clear as can be. Let it go, sleep on it, problem solved.

Will

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good going Scottie, you worked out the problem. With me when i get tired i cant see obvious problems. Glad it worked out for you.

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The secret is thinking the problem over while you doze off. The solution will usually wake you up, and you just have to get up to make it happen :)