• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Slate Mantle Clock

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
Hi - I have this 18inch high slate clock that has been in our family for many years. The case is lightly engraved on every side with intricate figures and designs. I would like to know if these engravings would have been gilded/painted at some time - there is no obvious evidence of this. However it seems strange to me to go to such trouble to engrave the clock but not to highlight the engravings in some way. It is very difficult to see/ appreciate the engravings in normal light. Can anyone give me an insight into how this clock might have looked when made and should I try to restore the case if possible. I have tried to take the best photographs I can but I can post more if it would help. Many thanks
Timbo

PA180790.JPG PA180791.JPG PA180792.JPG PA180793.JPG PA180794.JPG PA180795.JPG PA180796.JPG

Reactions: Micam100

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
It looks like it is supposed to be as it is now, you have a 2 tone look, the figures and other engravings are sitting proud (well not really but that is what they were trying to achive). I think these would have been highly polished and therefore stood out from the matted background.

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
It looks like it is supposed to be as it is now, you have a 2 tone look, the figures and other engravings are sitting proud (well not really but that is what they were trying to achive). I think these would have been highly polished and therefore stood out from the matted background.
Thanks Jimmy for this information - do you have any suggestions on highly polishing the case?

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Looking at your photos the case is in a good condition, maybe just start at about 600 grit wet and dry, if you are going to sand it and work up from there. I would also just do a test bit, maybe the skirting on one side and see how it goes as this will give you an idea of what the finish will look like.

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
Looking at your photos the case is in a good condition, maybe just start at about 600 grit wet and dry, if you are going to sand it and work up from there. I would also just do a test bit, maybe the skirting on one side and see how it goes as this will give you an idea of what the finish will look like.
Thanks Jimmy - I will try 600 or 800 to start - did you use a sanding block for the flat areas? - I don't want to destroy the relief of the engraving in any way so I would just try to polish the raised flat areas. If I find a small flat area I suppose I could use a dremel with 600 grit very slowly and carefully? You say you only did yours by hand and perhaps did not use a dremel at all?

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I used a sanding block and my fingers, no other tools. The grit gets finer as you sand, anyway you will see this when you do a small area as a test. Leave the matted area alone it will help with the contrast.

timbo19

Dec 28, 2019
Country
I used a sanding block and my fingers, no other tools. The grit gets finer as you sand, anyway you will see this when you do a small area as a test. Leave the matted area alone it will help with the contrast.
Thanks Jimmy - I will follow your advice and let you know how it goes. I am currently trying to finish repairing 3 other clocks for friends but when I have a peaceful hour or two I will start on the polishing! Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenvu01
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-