Skeleton Clock

lamarw

Jan 5, 2002
Lake Martin, Alabama
Country
Region
I won this clock today at a live internet auction, and it was shown with a very limited description. I will be picking it up in about a month. All I have are the below pictures. Does anyone have any thoughts as to possible age or origin.

Kind of a new and different aspect to my colletion. I am hoping it has some age to it, but either way I liked it.

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Looks like a quality movement, Lamar. Fusee, silk thread suspension!!
I think you have a keeper:thumb:

lamarw

Jan 5, 2002
Lake Martin, Alabama
Country
Region
Thanks Harold. My gut told me to go for it.

Sometimes a clock just calls to you.

Your ID of fusee and silk tread are right on. You are also correct in that it will not be a "Catch and Release". LOL

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
It's not bad news. Not at all. It's a GREAT looking, great working clock, I enjoyed for many years. I had your (one like) fusee for a time, then swapped my buddy for his non-fusee because it had a larger great wheel. Then I sold that one and now look at this one - another made in China with an even LARGER great wheel and I think, BEAUTIFUL webbing.
Not at all. It's a GREAT looking clock!

Attachments

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Do you think that pinion would show that amount of wear in 5 years? I can't date the clock, but it looks interesting

Joeydeluxed

NAWCC Member
Mar 3, 2007
Country
Unfortunately a Chinese repro. This is just one of several different clocks
made by different companies that have been sneaking into auctions lately.

Rollerpen

Jul 7, 2006
Washington
Country
Region
lamarw said:
You should know then. Thanks I guess for the bad news.
I buy clocks because I enjoy them, and some just attract me to themselves. Skeleton clocks do this to me and while I do not own one at this time, it is just because I have not found one at a price I was willing to give. I hesitate to admit that I have some Korean clocks that are still with me because I enjoy them.

Obviously you were drawn to this clock, so what is not to like? Even though it is not a high priced antique, it still is a neat clock which will cause comment by your visitors.

You have a nice clock and one that I would be happy to display.

Ken

David Robertson

Jan 6, 2003
Country
Region
Rollerpen said:
I hesitate to admit that I have some Korean clocks that are still with me because I enjoy them.

Ken
Ken,

Don't be ashamed of Korean clocks just because there are collectors on this site that would prefer smallpox. Many of the Korean movements, while made of relatively cheap and thin materials are really quite clever in terms of the engineering improvements that have made to make manufacturing less expensive and running more reliable.

Similarly with the cases.. some are quite attractive... even if it is not from using quality materials and largely due to "artwork"...

I don't necessarily like to work on them, but I do admire their engineering design.

If anyone would like to discuss the creative and problematic elements of Korean clocks, it might make an interesting new thread.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I like skeleton clocks.I do not have any but maybe one day.If you enjoy your clocks that is all that really matters.
My Korean clock that i gave away kept very good time, maybe 3 minutes a month, i was surprised at the accuracy of it.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Chris said:
Do you think that pinion would show that amount of wear in 5 years? I can't date the clock, but it looks interesting
What are you seeing here CHRIS? What wear? Which pinion? Which pixture?

Rollerpen

Jul 7, 2006
Washington
Country
Region
David said:
Rollerpen said:
I hesitate to admit that I have some Korean clocks that are still with me because I enjoy them.

Ken
Ken,

Don't be ashamed of Korean clocks just because there are collectors on this site that would prefer smallpox. Many of the Korean movements, while made of relatively cheap and thin materials are really quite clever in terms of the engineering improvements that have made to make manufacturing less expensive and running more reliable.
Nope, not ashamed. I started learning on them because they were cheap and if I screwed up, nothing much was lost in terms of $. I still enjoy some of them and keep them around.

Ken

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Scottie look at the pinion in the last picture.Right side of clock about half way up.
It looks like wear, but could just be a shadow or something.:)

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
If that's the one he's referring to - yeah. I see what you see. Looks to me more like a track - you know - a pathmark on the pinion. Where the light reflects across a leaf tho, I don't see wear on the edge. Mine did wear well also - made of pretty good materials I'd say.
Altho in thinking further, I can see where you could have wear on a face of a leaf without it necessarily wearing on the edge as in proper operation, edge should not be a point of contact.
Biggest problem I had with mine was keeping it in beat. A friction fit crutch collar PLUS a setscrew in the anchor, and one or the other was always slipping it seemed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ningxis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff