Skeleton Clock

T

tymekppr

Can someone tell me how you tell if a skeleton clock is an older one or is one of the Chinese repros. I bought one today at an estate sale and it appears old. It is unmarked, single Fusee drive and strikes once on the bell on the hour. The base is black ebonised wood which looks old. The glass dome has lots of bubbles and waves, but is not tight on the base, so I suspect the dome may be old but not original. It runs great, but was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up.

Sandy

T

tymekppr

Can someone tell me how you tell if a skeleton clock is an older one or is one of the Chinese repros. I bought one today at an estate sale and it appears old. It is unmarked, single Fusee drive and strikes once on the bell on the hour. The base is black ebonised wood which looks old. The glass dome has lots of bubbles and waves, but is not tight on the base, so I suspect the dome may be old but not original. It runs great, but was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up.

Sandy

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I LOVE skeletons and altho I have only two, only one is old. TRULY old ones don't come up often. We'd ( I'd) LOVE to see a picture of it front and rear at least. If posting is a hassle for you simply send me a picture or three at mclkwrx@aol.com and I'll post them for you. Deal?

T

tymekppr

Thanks for all of the help, I will post a picture tomorrow and you guys can give me your opinion.

Sandy

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Greetings All,

Below are pictures of an English skeleton clock that I have had for quite a few years. It is old (I have always thought C. 1890), and has no markings of any kind. It has a "passing strike" at the hour, single fusee, has cable now and I don't know if it ever had chain. It has the original dome, original material covering the base.

176.gif

177.gif

178.gif

179.gif

I know it's hard to tell if some clocks are "old" or not but I think you could tell from the condition of the base, the fabric covering the base, the finish and wear on the movement etc....

Regards,

Richard T.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Tuff call, RT and you know I'm not an expert on these or anything else. My opinion: It just LOOKS kind of new-ish. They don't usually have that style of hands. Often the originals also had a skeletonized dial that was silvered. I believe it's recent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff