• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Electric WW Skagen Second Hand Moves Every 4 Seconds

lifeisgud71

Jul 30, 2008
Nebraska
Country
Region
Hello and good day,

I have a Skagen 583XLSXDO that is about 4 months old. The second hand moves in 4 second increments, but the watch keeps good time over the past couple weeks.

Could this be a weak battery, or should I return the watch for warranty repair? I have no idea what could cause this and the watch has been taken good care of.

This watch has 4 screws in the back and it appears the movement would come out the front. The price for a battery replacement is about $15.00, which seems fair as this includes return shipping.

I did not expect the watch to require repair after 4 months.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Garry

Steve Settle

Nov 16, 2005
Hello:
Your watch most likely has a Miyota movement. The second hand skipping as you describe is the "EOL"-end of life indicator for the power cell. When the voltage drops enough, this gets your attention and lets you know it's time for a new cell.
When you purchase a watch on line or from a discount store, you have no way of knowing how long the watch has been laying around, possibly running the entire time. Most of the silver oxide cells have a shelf life of 2 years. Our store installs a new cell at the time of purchase.
Best Regards,
Steve Settle

MFRC1956

Dec 9, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Country
Region
I think you are on the track, the battery is most likely low. The least you could expect when bying a battery powered wrist watch is to have a new fresh battery installed when you leave the store, that is how I do it anyway as you never know for how long the other have been in use.

Michael

lifeisgud71

Jul 30, 2008
Nebraska
Country
Region
Thank you kindly for the quick reply and professional assistance.

Garry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Appointible
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-