• For those of you who were having issues connecting to the Forums, it turns out that our modem was not functioning properly. We have replaced it now and the connection to the Forums has been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Sizing a Cuckoo Clock Pendulum Hanger Wire

Wynot

Dec 16, 2016
Country
I picked up an old cuckoo clock last week. It is missing the pendulum hanger wire. These are available in many lengths. The movement is a Regula-25. How do I know which length to buy? Thanks.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Most will hang about 1/4" below the bottom of the house. Just enough so you can easily hang the pendulum. There are exceptions. Willie X

Last edited:

Wynot

Dec 16, 2016
Country
Most will hang about 1/4" below the bottom of the house. Just enough so you can easily hang the pendulum. There are exceptions. Willie X
The measurement from the top hook to the bottom of the case is 3 inches. The options I've seen are 3 1/8" and 3 5/8". Looks like I'll be trying 3 5/8". That's more than the 1/4" you mentioned but, I don't see anything in the middle. Thanks!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
These are fairly easy to make, so you could experiment to find the right length. Most repairmen have a few of them laying around. If you PM me your address, I'll send you one.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Details: the leader's flattened wire top hook always hooks on right to left. The lower "D" shaped loop also needs to be adjusted so that the pendulum hangs exactly straight on the leader wire. This is best done before the leader is installed, just hold a little tension at the hook to leader junction and sight down the assembly. The leader/pendulum assembly should be as straight as an arrow, from top to bottom. If not, adjust the lower loop of the leader to make it so.
The pendulum should swing as an assembly, not as two separate parts. If the pendulum hook is teetering on the leader it won't run as well as it should.
Willie X

Wynot

Dec 16, 2016
Country
Thanks to you both. As I progress here, I will certainly follow your advice. Until then, it's back to rebuilding the bellows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bwahle
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre