Sir John Bennett's Jewelry Shop, Dearborn, MI

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by kirxklox, Jul 28, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gog and MaGog

148.jpg

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In Greenfield Village, of course. While it is was not open to the public when I was there. The shop inside is reputed to be Henry Ford's watchmaking shop. At least I think I am remebering that correctly.

3. tomrsey

tomrsey Registered User

Jul 27, 2002
    retired
    Pacific Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gog and Magog have recently undergone a refurbishing. The original building came from England and was five stories high. It was shortened to two stories when it was relocated at the Village.

The statues of Gog and Magog and two angels strike bells to play the Westminster Chimes on each quarter hour, and to strike the hour.

The pictures below show the Sir John Bennett Jewelry shop as it sat in the Village before the restoration and then during and after restoration was completed. The whole building underwent a good cleaning. The stonework surrounding the clock was cleaned, as was the clock dial and the spire.

Henry Ford enjoyed repairing watches. I believe the jewelry shop closest to his watch repairing experiences was the Grimm Jewelry Shop, just around the corner from the Bennett shop. It was there that Henry would go in and talk to the jeweler. The shop served the Detroit area. The Ford farm was not far from the Dearborn - Detroit border. I had the great opportunity to take a course in clock repair in the second floor of the Grimm shop from Bob Cheyne, curator of clock for Greenfield Village.

Attached Files:

4. tomrsey

tomrsey Registered User

Jul 27, 2002
    retired
    Pacific Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    HMMM. I still need to get the knack of posting the pictures. They did not come out in the order I had imagined they would. I put them in the reverse order of how I wanted them to appear, but they are scrambled.

The first picture shows before restoration. You can see that the colors of the statues are quite faded and the white stone around the clock is not very white.

The second picture shows one of the gilded angels being hoisted into place. It is wrapped in a white cloth cover.

The third one shows the final - restored installation.

The fourth picture shows Gog and Magog in their crates waiting to be reinstalled on the building.

The fifth picture is the restored spire.

The sixth picture shows the building. You can see the difference in the white stone around the dial, and the more vibrant numbers on the dial itself.

The seventh picture should have been toward the beginning. It was the sight I first saw one day when walking through the Village. The man standing there was definitely not Gog or Magog, and it was my first clue that restoration was underway.

The last picture shows a mirror that is inside the shop today, and was part of the original shop when it was in England. Today the shop is used for snacks and lemonade sales.

5. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002

Who did the restoration ?

6. tomrsey

tomrsey Registered User

Jul 27, 2002
    retired
    Pacific Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have written to them requesting that information. I will let you know if they reply.

7. tomrsey

tomrsey Registered User

Jul 27, 2002
    retired
    Pacific Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I received the following information from the Village staff. The link provided at the bottom is very interesting and has a good deal of information and some additional pictures. I wish to thank the Greenfield Village staff for their helpful response to my inquiry.

When Gog and Magog were restored, the building work was done by various outside contractors. The figures and bells were restored by McKay Lodge in Oberlin, Ohio. The clock mechanism was restored by Henry Ford Museum conservation staff.

Click Here

8. tomrsey

tomrsey Registered User

Jul 27, 2002
    retired
    Pacific Northwest
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found this picture of how it looked in the late 1800s.

Attached Files:

9. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    7FB54A2C-966D-437B-9A59-6F2F16F58E90.jpeg
    I took this picture yesterday, September 29, 2019 after it had struck the noon hour! Fascinating to observe.
    Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary