Sir Francis Drake Falling Ball Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Love clocks, Sep 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Love clocks

Love clocks Registered User

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Drake 1.JPG Drake 4.JPG Drake 6.JPG
    As well as the dog in previous post, we decided to buy a Sir Francis Drake clock which we'd been eyeing off for some time. Not antique but fascinating all the same.

markiemark and woodlawndon like this.
  2. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting, I've never seen one of these.
    Don

Love clocks likes this.
  3. Love clocks

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    They were a limited edition bought out by Franklin Mint around 1981 as a replica of a very rare clock which Sir Francis Drake owned and loved. The ball is weight driven and slowly descends. Interesting how it works. There is a history of it on the net somewhere which I copied, but copyright prevents me from posting it here. Look up Sir Francis Drake Falling Ball Clock if you are interested in finding out more about them.

4. Time for tea

Time for tea Registered User

Feb 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Very Interesting does keep good time ?

5. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty neat how winding it just consists of lifting the ball back up.

6. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    this clock was made by Twaites&Reed,a famous English maker.It is governed by a 11jewel swiss platform escapement and keeps exellent time as could be expected by this quality escapement , I have mine regulated to less than 1min.per week. Take care the skrews of the gallow are tight,I´ve seen one destroyed when the support arm came loose and the clock fell down on the floor.
    Burkhard

7. Love clocks

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the advice. Made sure the wall plug was solid but don't think we even checked the gallow. It is keeping really good time so far but t did come from an antique clock dealer who had it up in his shop, so guess he had it pretty fine tuned.

8. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    there is a verry small hole in the "southern hemisphere" right between Africa and Australia , just wide enough for a watchmaker´s skrewdriver.Under that hole the micrometer regulator for the platform is placed.If needed one can look into that hole with a loupe and place the said skrewdriver into the slot of the regulator.Turning clockwise will speed up the clock,ccw will slow it down.Adjust with care! HTH
    Burkhard

Love clocks likes this.