Single Weight Cuckoo Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Wayne C. Anderson, Apr 21, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wayne C. Anderson

Wayne C. Anderson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2001
    that is marked (as much as I can read):

nadler anstalt
    stern germany
    0 jewels unadjusted

on the movement. Would anyone have any information on this type of clock? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Wayne.

Sorry I can't help much. Pretty sure this is 60-70's German cuckoo from black forrest.

One thing about these single chirpers, I still can't see how they are suppose to work.

Somehow a wire grips and then slips or something. Wish someone would explain this in detail.

RJ

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 harold bain, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  4. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cam timing and wires: That's how they work. A cam with four lobes:
    The cam lifts the left bellow. as it lifts, a wire crosswise to the other bellow begins lifting the right bellow. When the first bellow falls off the cam it chirps followed by a chirp from the other bellow. One cuckoo every quarter.

5. Chick Curry

Chick Curry Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Male
    school administrator
    Camden, Delaware
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have serviced some of these types. The trick (it can drive you nuts) is to have the little wire and place it meets the horizontal wire clean and shiny.. When the cam lifts the left and then the right bellows as well to their upper limit a little crooked wire will position itself so that is holding the right bellows in the up position. When the cam drops the left bellows and the bellow is falling and chirping the horizontal wire will 'kick off' the crooked wire which drops the right bellows moments later producing the other chirp. At best it is a very quick coo coo. If you haven't got it right you will just hear coo. Be sure to hold the clock in its normal vertical position so that your adjustments work when it's on the wall again........"it can be done" you will get frustrated at first, but just take your time and don't bend anything very much. Years ago I was the one that was Nuts.

good luck

Chick 146736

6. Wayne C. Anderson

Wayne C. Anderson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Thanks to all for the information. The one that I was high bidder at the auction ($1.00USD) keeps time and chimes every 15 minutes. The case is very dirty, but a bit of cleaning made it presentable. Still trying to find information about the maker "ANSTALT".

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In German, "Anstalt" usually refers to a closed hospital for mentally ill patients. It is possible that the clock has been assembled by patients of the "Anstalt".

Uhralt

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wayne for a buck you did ok i think.
    I have many cuckoo clocks, and i may get a few of the larger ones going, but the smaller novelty type i doubt it.

9. dholk

dholk Registered User

Feb 8, 2007
    Clock Repair, Antiques Dealer
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To get one of these buggars working properly unless, of course, you have been thoroughly trained on the particular one requires much patience and ability to figure out complex mechanisms; also a good bit of luck.

10. johnj

johnj Registered User

Dec 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi there I have a clock similar to yours, do you know what weight and chain is used on this clock?

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think they used the same chain as is standard on the Regula movements in modern times. You can use a thin strip of paper to make impressions from the sprockets, then count links per inch. The weight was not real heavy. Just use a cone weight like that used for the time side of a 30 hour cuckoo. These clocks are not great time keepers, and are fiddly to get to cuckoo. They just cuckoo once at each 15 minutes.

12. johnj

johnj Registered User

Dec 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the help I will give it a go.

13. Andrew Bowker

Andrew Bowker Registered User

Jun 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi. I’m new to the “world of clocks” and I’m enjoying the whole learning process from wall and mantle clocks to pocket watches.
    But, and it would appear, like a few others, this single weighted cuckoo clock is proving to be my nemesis! The time side is working a treat and keeps good time (ish)
    I now know, looking at the photos above that there are bits Missing from the mechanism. The only original part is the lifter from the four lobed cam to the left bellow. Can somebody possibly sketch or the like what else there should be to raise and, more crucially, drop the right bellow.
    The above picture gave me relief that I didn’t have the only one of these in existence but wasn’t quite clear enough to figure out the mechanics. Best wishes to all
    Andy.

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Best for us to see what you have. Take a pic of the back side setup for us.

15. Andrew Bowker

Jun 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your quick reply. This is what I have to play with so far.
    Cheers Andy

16. Andrew Bowker

Jun 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
  17. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Believe it or not, this type of cuckoo's bellows is one of the more complex mouse trap operations that there is. I see you have the necessary other parts behind the clock.

Understanding the simple thing it does helps clear the thought process. All it does is one cuck-coo. The cam lifts BOTH bellows at same time, then drops one and as the first closes the second one drops. Thus both bellows close at different intervals. Creating the two syllable cuck-coo sound.

A good example video should be available. From what I remember the adjustment is finicky when trying to get both bellows to not fall same time.

18. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is maybe a closer look at one together.
    LOOK very careful & maybe you can figure it out.

LUX Cuckoo Bellows.jpg

19. Andrew Bowker

Jun 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank for your reply’s advice and help. Teaclocks thanks for the photo. Am I right in thinking that the cuckoo itself is used as a counterweight to the second bellow?

20. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, the bird tilts, reducing the bend angle so the wire can slide past. If that bellow doesnt weigh enough for correctly acting, you can glue a small coin or washer on top to assist.

21. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    But when searching this kind of cuckoo I couldn't find term/name. Anyone know?
    I tried terms like "one chirp" and "hour cuckoo" etc. Teaclocks chirps the quarter hour.

22. Old Rivers

Old Rivers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your photo speaks volumes. That really is ingenious.

RJ's reference to a "mousetrap" is spot on!

Bill

23. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have heard them referred to as "windmill cuckoo's" because of the wheel. Andrew - you can see from the picture that teaclocks supplied, that you have the lift happening, but you don't have the crossover wire to raise the right bellows nor the wire that actually provides the shelf for the delayed drop. When the left bellows drops, it knocks the right wire off the shelf ... so you have to have the delay accounted for. Those things were cheaply made and are a challenge for even the pro's to get right.
    We have something in common! My first successful repair was on one of those danged things. If you can get that one right, you are on your way! :D

24. Andrew Bowker

Jun 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Wow! A huge thankyou for all your help and advice in such a short time.
    Well with the aid of a few reworked paper clips and soft copper wire I have a “working” cuckoo!
    Things just at the prototype stage to see how it should work to tweak and bend wires I’ll then remove it all and rebuild the final clock up. Thanks for the advice regarding gluing coins to the top. They really helped.
    Once I have the finished project I will post photos and video. Many many thanks again to everybody.
    Stay safe and keep smiling!!
    Andy

25. Andrew Bowker

Jun 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    As promised photos of the finished. Cuckooing clock. Thanks again for all your invaluable help information advice and encouragement.
    Keep ticking
    Andy

2FAC5D5D-D35C-44EF-B08A-B5249880F879.jpeg 16EC8DA1-8F10-4AB8-8AA7-70D9962781E4.jpeg image.jpg

26. Andrew Bowker

Jun 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thought you may like to see a few more completed projects.
    The modern (30yrs old) wall clock was a strip and clean of the Westminster chimes. The anniversary clock was a complete strip down clean and rebuild plus a replacement suspension spring.
    The older wall clock was a complete strip down clean and rebuild it had been in a cardboard box in the attic for around 30yrs
    The pocket watch was just a clean.
    The carriage clock was a strip of the case to repair the top glass and reattach the handle after a painting fell on to it.
    The final little alarm clock was a full stop down and rebuild plus repair to the main and alarm spring.
    The mantle clock was a strip clean and rebuild including reattaching the glass door.
    And finally a second anniversary clock in pieces which was cleaned rebuilt and works lovely.
    All great fun.

AA8EFFE8-7A79-44D4-99AC-D76F39105765.jpeg 95DA84F1-0566-4DCF-932C-746C8BCBF910.jpeg 385FBC9D-1784-463E-B5B8-1E9AEAD285C7.jpeg E1975747-2C0F-49C6-878C-52677FB0B1EC.jpeg 8446D2AF-A444-4542-9C02-F157C0543462.jpeg EB9E08F9-4264-4012-81B8-17739AB01458.jpeg 483775B9-A5D6-47DB-AC50-48F7276ADC7C.jpeg 8FC804E3-29C1-47D7-9032-043715A5BB66.jpeg

27. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005

It is nice to see your other achievements, but now they are all hidden in a thread dealing with single weight cuckoo clocks.

It might have been better to start a new thread.

JTD

28. Andrew Bowker

Jun 3, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hmmm. Didn’t think of that. Thanks for comment and advice.

29. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    A moderator may come along and move it for you if he thinks it wise. But putting so many entirely differing clocks (and even a watch!) in one post also makes that difficult.

Anyway, you'll know for next time!

JTD