Single Fusee Drop Dial Stoke Staffordshire Charles Duckett

Jezster18

Jan 31, 2011
Country
I have been to collect this clock & I'm amazed how good it is, fully serviced & ticking away.
I bought it for my wife as it's from her home city
I cant find much about Charles Duckett Stoke I know he's buried in Stoke Minster & the clock dates approx 1840-1850's
The owner said it was originally in Stoke Train Station when he was a boy, but I have no provenance to confirm that, not that it really matters.
rosewood veneer in vgc & the princely sum of £150 I'm happy, not hung yet as small things need doing & hopefully if I get some peace & quiet I can get on with it.

20220803_202240.jpg 20220803_202327.jpg 20220803_202338.jpg 20220803_202553.jpg

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
Hi,

Lovely and well bought. With respect to service one hint. The movement seems to have been overoiled previously. As soon as oil runs down a plate, this was too much oil. Overoiling has the effect that oil spreading over the plate will "draw" oil from the holes and the clock runs dry faster than if the correct amount of oil (less) had been applied.

Cheers, Bernhard

Reactions: Jezster18

Jezster18

Jan 31, 2011
Country
Brian Loomes Volume 2 Watchmakers & clockmakers of the World
Charles Duckett Stoke On Trent 1850 to 1868
I can't find out much more about him or find any other clocks, at least I know he's the maker & not just a retailer .

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Brian Loomes Volume 2 Watchmakers & clockmakers of the World
Charles Duckett Stoke On Trent 1850 to 1868
I can't find out much more about him or find any other clocks, at least I know he's the maker & not just a retailer .
Still more than likely a retailer. Even established clockmakers bought in dial clocks. This happened from the very beginning of dial clocks, remember that longcase were already in that position when dial clocks started.

Reactions: Jezster18

Jezster18

Jan 31, 2011
Country
Hi,

Lovely and well bought. With respect to service one hint. The movement seems to have been overoiled previously. As soon as oil runs down a plate, this was too much oil. Overoiling has the effect that oil spreading over the plate will "draw" oil from the holes and the clock runs dry faster than if the correct amount of oil (less) had been applied.

Cheers, Bernhard
Hi Bernhard you are correct, the photo shows it more than it looks, I will be taking care of it, It's always down to lack of care, I've seen them covered in diesel oil, modern furniture polish, WD40 etc, it makes your mind ponder.
I went years ago to buy a triple fusee from a so called dealer, when I arrived the case was empty, he showed me the works as he withdrew it out of a bucket of diesel & said this is the best way to clean them. I didn't buy it.:eek:

Reactions: Bernhard J.

Jezster18

Jan 31, 2011
Country
Still more than likely a retailer. Even established clockmakers bought in dial clocks. This happened from the very beginning of dial clocks, remember that longcase were already in that position when dial clocks started.
That could be why I can't find him, I have located a Charles Duckett who sold pottery etc & apparently the old outside toilets which was a slop drain long wood plank with a hole in on top of bricks & you needed a bucket of water to throw down were called Ducketts in Stoke I even remember using one at my great aunts when I was 12:D

Jezster18

Jan 31, 2011
Country
Well it's finished at last to how we like our clocks to look, I don't think the clock has been cleaned for years, sleepy state, I think some collectors call it.
Here is a picture as I need to find somewhere to hang the clock, it's quite large at 26 inches long by 17 inches wide.
I've found 3 large holes in the top of the back box section at the top, covered with paper & sellotape, too large for finials, I wonder what they were for? I didn't bother drawing in the minute ring as we like a bit of age.
thank you for your replies. I unfortunately have left a thumb print on the glass over the VII .

20220813_203910.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-