• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Simplex Wall Clocks

caperace

Nov 1, 2006
Country
Does anyone what wall clocks Simplex made before purchasing IBM. I know that they made dual motor clocks. I don't believe IBM ever made dual motor clocks. I'm pretty sure that Simplex had an electronic system before it purchased IBM, but did not manufacture it for long before purchasing IBM. I think the earliest impulse clocks were the IBM movements that were being made when IBM was purchased.

Jim

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Jim. The only Simplex wall clocks I have seen that predate IBM aquisition are the dual motor clocks. I think I have a few of these in my shop somewhere. Some were master controlled, and some just had a switch to advance, or stop them. I have never seen a Simplex impulse of any design other than the one you are familiar with.

fdew

Jul 12, 2007
I had a customer with a Simplex impulse system The master clock had 6 bead chains for programing. The correction was at the 44th minute. The movement looked almost exactly like a modern Simplex movement (The rectangular ones with a single fat coil on the bottom) but the SR switch was different I believe it was a single lobe cam that tripped a commercial switch (like a micro switch but with a thin bent wire instead of the lever.)

Frank

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Frank, I had a feeling that Simplex had developed an impulse clock before the IBM purchase, or they would have used the IBM design. I had one school customer with the 6 beadbox master, running dual motor clocks. It got replaced with a 941-9 and sync clocks.

caperace

Nov 1, 2006
Country
I remember that master, but can't think on the model number. I don't remember what the moivement looked like. I overhauled a number of the beadbox assemblies. I'm not sure if the 941 had an option to operate dual motor clocks. I know there was an option on the 2350 . I think that the reason we overhauled the beadbox units was because there was not an option on the 941 to operate the dual motor clocks and that is why we were trying to keep them going.

Jim