• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Simplex wall clock wiring question

narino

Oct 16, 2009
First, Hello all this is my first post

I tried the search function but didn't come up with anything, I'm probably not searching correctly, but does anyone have a link or info on how to wire this clock so it works off of a wall outlet?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know anything about this type of simplex clock? I'd seen the "school" clocks but havn't found any info on these with the 0 -60 markings. Were these made for more industrial shops, or hospitals?

Thank you,

Jorge

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, jorge, welcome to the message board. Your clock is called an interval timer, works similar to a stopwatch. It used switches to start, stop and reset it. It isn't meant to tell the time.
I'm going to move this thread down to the early electric clock forum for better exposure.

narino

Oct 16, 2009
Harold, thanks for the info. That definitely explains the 0-60 markings.

Also thanks for moving this to the correct forum, I was searching in the wrong one as well.

In a post you did on this thread, https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=18557&highlight=simplex, you mentioned connecting 2 black wires to a plug so it would run continuously. Can this method be applied to this clock as well? Unfortunately I don't have the clock infront of me, i'm at work, so I can't look to see which wires would be used to power the clock. Would there be any need to add any other electrical components other than a plug, ie resistors? I'd hate to fry the internals.

Thanks again,

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It's been a long time since I worked on one of these clocks. You could try just wiring up the motor, but I suspect it will stop in 12 hours. I've seen these clocks used in hospitals (operating rooms), and schools (typing class). Make sure it is wired for line voltage (should say on the label).

skruft

Aug 5, 2002
Country
I am not sure if it would stop or keep running, as this is a timer, meant to time long events, rather than a clock. If you could prevent it from stopping, perhaps it would work as a clock.

It was normally connected to a small control panel, of the size that would fit into an electrical box. This had controls to stop, start or reset the clock. If memory serves, there was also a pilot light.

I believe one or more of the aftermarket manufacturers, maybe ATS, still makes this timer and the control.