Simplex Time Recorder Operation

JoyF

Jun 4, 2013
Recently acquired this Simplex Time Recorder. What time period you think? Also, I don't know anything about how they operate. It does run when I plug it in. Do you set the time like a normal clock? How does it do the time recording? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a picture. 314001.jpg

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I have moved this thread to the Electric Horology forum, where it will receive the replies it needs.

caperace

Nov 1, 2006
Country
Hi your clock is a bell ringer and not a payroll clock, looks as though it is run by an electric motor sinced there is no place to wind it, it is programmed to ring at 5,25,35 and 55 minutes passed the hour, the hours are programmed on the wheel below the dial, the power would run through the minuite hand, usually was low voltage and may have been supplied with a battery or transformer.

JoyF

Jun 4, 2013
Do you think you just set it like a regular clock? Thanks.

caperace

Nov 1, 2006
Country
I believe that if you move the minuite hand in a clockwise direction the clock should advance and the dial under the clock should advance also. The hour is stamped on the lower dial and the hour under the contacts should be in sync with the upper clock face. ( this is for a motor driven clock which I believe yours is.

mxfrank

Oct 27, 2011
The clock is driven by a synchronous motor. The power cord normally enters the case on the top right side. There should be a driveshaft that connects the hour wheel to the main movement, it appears to be missing. It's not an easy shaft to copy, but I can post a photo and dimensions if you need this info. To set the clock, move the minute hand clockwise, like any other clock.

There are two timing rings, each set by moving the screw-down contactors. The contactors around the chapter ring complete the circuit through the minute hand, which brushes against them as it goes round. The brush on the minute hand is frequently found broken, yours appears to be intact. These allow signals to be set that trigger every few minutes.

The big hour wheel on the bottom revolves once in 24 hrs (or it may be once every 7 days), and allows bell signals to be set at various times of the day. There are two switches, and they are triggered by two different styles of contactor.

There should be three screwdown terminals on the right side of the case which correspond to the various signals. Power for the signal system was provided by a 24V transformer, which was not necessarily located in or on the case.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It would originally have had a Telechron rotor and field. They were often updated to a synchron motor. Look closely to make sure the power cord only supplies power to the motor, and that all connections look safe before powering it up.

JoyF

Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for all the info. I'll have to study it more closely and, you're right, it does look like that shaft is missing. Not sure that I'll attempt any repairs, but it is good to know more about it and how it is supposed to work.

JoyF

Jun 4, 2013
I just found this piece loose inside the clock. Wouldn't have anything to do with the shaft would it? 314424.jpg

Attachments

JoyF

Jun 4, 2013
Just checked it out and seems clear above piece is the shaft. I'll have to try to install it and see if I can get the unit working. Will take care when powering up.

mxfrank

Oct 27, 2011
Yup. That's the drive shaft. You may find that it was removed because the motor isn't strong enough to run both dials. In that case, cleaning and oiling may be all that's needed.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sherlock04
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool