Simplex TCF-10R4 Unusual Serial Number

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by dbashaw, May 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dbashaw

dbashaw New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hello all, I was looking for help with a Simplex TCF clock I recently purchased. It has an odd serial number plate. If I go by the manual, it would indicate July, 1912 which is of course impossible. Does anyone know of errors in the serial/date tags? Still trying to date this clock as I work towards restoring. I also am looking for the key if anyone can help. I am trying to attach pictures as well.

Thank you!

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

I wonder if your enquiry might do better in the electric horology section? Maybe one of the moderators will move it for you.

JTD

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I have moved this to Electric Horology.

4. caperace

caperace Registered User

Nov 1, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The bar that is below the dial should have a serial number stamped on it on the lefthand side, does it match the serial number on the ID plate ? The clock could have been sold as a rebuilt clock. The 712 may have been the branch number, there was a rebuilding center in New Jersey, but I cannot remember the branch number, but I think they would have been identified as a rebuilt clock also clocks were rebuilt for sale in some of the local branches if a need was for them and it was up to the local branch to identify these clocks and I'm sure most of the local branches would not go through the trouble to identify the clock as being rebuilt and making a new ID plate.

5. dbashaw

dbashaw New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that information. I did verify the serial number on the bar matches the plate. I looked up the Branch Number and 712 doesn't come up as any Branch number I can locate that exists.

6. caperace

caperace Registered User

Nov 1, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    If I remember correctly the model T came out in the 1940's, before that they were wood case clocks