• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

IBM Simplex synchronous clock rattling?

pianoman

Nov 19, 2006
Country
Region
(Tagged as IBM because IBM and Simplex clocks are virtually synonymous)

I've had this Simplex synchronous clock for over 10 years, salvaged from a building where it was taken down presumably because the correction didn't work. With Harold Bain and other NAWCC member's help, I was able to revive the correction, specifically thanks to a box of spare parts Harold graciously sent me. It has worked great ever since then, correction and all, with one exception: the movement makes a rattling sound that I just can't seem to find! I don't know if maybe the motor itself is rattling, or if maybe something inside the movement is not quite right. I've attached a video link below, does anyone have thoughts on what might be going on, or maybe you've seen this before?

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
OK. You need to make a couple of washers preferably nylon but I've made a lot of them from the hard plastic packaging that comes on just about everything.
You'll need to pull the motor apart and put washers on the shaft at each bearing. It quietens them down quite a bit. While you are there clean and oil the bearings and shaft of course. Otherwise, you need a new motor.

pianoman

Nov 19, 2006
Country
Region
OK. You need to make a couple of washers preferably nylon but I've made a lot of them from the hard plastic packaging that comes on just about everything.
You'll need to pull the motor apart and put washers on the shaft at each bearing. It quietens them down quite a bit. While you are there clean and oil the bearings and shaft of course. Otherwise, you need a new motor.
Oof, OK, that sounds doable, but I'm a little concerned about the motor. Am I looking at premature motor failure if I don't insert the washers? It seems like these motors are not being made anymore (at least according to American Time) so I'm a little concerned about preserving them. I've already run across a few other variants of Synchrons that I wasn't able to salvage with my limited skills, and was not able to replace because they're long out of stock.

pianoman

Nov 19, 2006
Country
Region
One other thing I just noticed: when I power the clock down, it makes this “KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK” sound as it winds down. I realize it could all be related, but does that maybe indicate excess up/down play in the motor shaft?

pianoman

Nov 19, 2006
Country
Region
I took the motor off the back today, and I noticed two things:

• There is definitely play in the motor shaft; I can move the small gear on the motor up and down by hand, so that's likely my main problem
  • It looks like there might be some damage to the "reverse gear" inside the clock (reverse meaning it's a hole where a gear goes, rather than a gear itself...hard for me to explain) 20-11-10 20-48-17 2160.jpg
I need to check my other parts in the garage, but I don't think the piece in which the motor gear sits should have rounded edges. It looks a bit more like a polygon than a gear.

pianoman

Nov 19, 2006
Country
Region
Time Savers still has sychron rotors and movments in stock.
Thanks, I’ll look into them! I know ANB collectibles still stocks Hansen synchronous motors but I do have to find out if I need a left or right hand motor (counterclockwise or clockwise).

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Victor B.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit