Simplex clock age

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by msolomon, May 1, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. AmP

AmP New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/penningt/Desktop/2.jpghttp://picturemessaging.rogers.com/mmps/Personal%20Folder/000_0319226c5628761f_0/2.jpg?partExt=.jpg&limitsize=320,320&outquality=56&rand=8697171333488579853&ext=.jpg&border=2,0,0,0&clampsize=320 Wow! Fast response! Thank you! (sorry picture is upside down) I've used a multimeter to trace a connection from the plug into the clutch magnet on the left. (If I'm reading the wiring diagram on the back ok). I don't get continuity out of the clutch magnet. From the other wire of the plug I'm getting continuity up to the synchron motor but not back out of it.

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your pictures aren't showing. Sounds like you have a two wire sync system with carrier current electronic correction. The two plug wires should be hooked directly to the sync motor. Pretty much everything else is useless to you unless you invest in a master clock and electronic signal generator transmitter.

3. AmP

AmP New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Oops, sorry. Let me try that again now AFTER checking it in the test forum.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      File size:
      18.1 KB
      Views:
  4. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It appears that the motor goes directly to the plug. You likely have a bad motor if the hands won't turn. It is electronic correction, a very expensive system. It has the newer type receiver. Timesavers sells motors and movements for this type clock.
    www.timesavers.com
    Motor is part number 18404, movement with bottom stem set, 20063

5. AmP

AmP New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Thanks Harold. I've removed the other connections and attached the power directly to the motor. There's no second hand, but I waited a few minutes and nothing moved. I can't hear any motor noises either. Looks like I will have to replace the motor if they still want to save it. Thanks for all your help. I'm glad I found the forum, I didn't know clocks could be this interesting .

Thanks again,
    AmP

6. pegmelissa

pegmelissa New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Hi everyone! I know this is a long shot, but I figured I would give it a shot. I came upon this thread from a Google search. Here is my dilemma:

At my job, we recently moved into a new building that has a Simplex Time Recorder 6100 installed. They used these to run their school bells, apparently. Since we are a school-type setting, I attempted to program all the bell times, and all the schedules. This all worked out great, except I started noticing that the time was running fast continuously. I checked the second hand against a stop watch and it seems to run 54.5 seconds to every minute elapsed. There is nothing in the manual to figure out how to correct this. The manual states it was manufactured in or around 1987.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions? :)

7. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #57 harold bain, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    Hi, pegmelisa, welcome to the message board. Your manual was printed in 1987, your clock may be newer or older, as these were first made, if I recall correctly, around 1984.
    Fixing your problem will involve finding a terminal on the printed circuit on the door. It is marked ac/dc and has three prongs, and has a little clip on it that shorts two of the terminals. You need to switch it to whichever it is not on now. But first, power down the clock (turn off it's circuit breaker), and then look on the other side of that printed circuit to find the Battery connect/disconnect. Pull that clip off, and make the change on the ac/dc clip. Then put the battery connect/disconnect clip back on where it was.
    You will then have to reprogram the clock, but it should cure your timekeeping problems.
    If this doesn't work, you may need a new battery (it's soldered onto the printed circuit).
    Your local Simplex office might be able to help you.

8. landolfi

landolfi New Member

May 14, 2011
    #58 landolfi, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    Hi all, new to the forum and Simplex clocks. There is mention on this board of oiling these clocks, but where on them exactly should they be oiled? I have a synchronous model with round face, motor has I43RA and date code 5-64. I noticed the motor has a small window on the back, is that where to oil it? I don't see any other places on the motor. Also, should I be oiling the backplate movement? Thanks in advance.

9. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, landolfi, welcome to the message board.
    No oil in the motor. You could oil the front of the motor where the pinion gear is, and all the pivot points. A bit of oil in the ratchet gear and pawl is also required.

10. landolfi

landolfi New Member

May 14, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply! I have another question: My clock keeps great time but generally the second hand "falls" between 3 and 4 seconds past the minute, not every time around but most of the time. Is this a function of the motor such that replacing the motor would solve this? It's not a showstopper but it's just a little bit annoying.

11. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Probably the second hand nut is a bit loose. I've never seen one of these motors do this. Some nuts are mounted on top of the hand, and others under the hand.