American Simplex 2850 Transmitter Manual

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by SWBeebe, Nov 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am working on a Simplex Master Clock syncing problem. It uses a 6400 control center, and that runs a Simplex 2850-9003 transmitter. The transmitter seems to be working, as I can pick up the "tone" (3510Hz) with my hound anywhere near or inside the box. (Fox and Hound) Supposedly it transmits the signal throughout the entire schools AC wiring, and the 7645 clocks pick it up anywhere in the building they are plugged in. (2 wire AC) I am not picking up the signal at the clocks currently. I am trying to locate the break in signal. Does anyone have a hookup or wiring diagram on this 2850 unit? I need to understand how it's hooked in to the building wiring and proper operation so I can properly attempt to diagnose the problem. Thank you for your time.

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We did have a manual for this but the link was broken in our last software update. I could email you a copy, if you think it would help. You need a signal of at least one volt to correct the slave clocks. If there is a Simplex office near you, they might be able to help you fix this problem.

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Tom.:clap:

5. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, thank you very much. I have attempted many of the links on that thread, but most were broken. Just for an update I was able to hear the signal on the lines, if I hound the outlets and not the wire. (Couldn't hear it over the 60Hz hum) The signal seems real faint compared to what it's like even close to the transmitter box. But then again, 1V is not much of a signal. I was expecting higher.

6. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One volt is about minimum to activate the correction, but it often is about 4 volts. Do any of the clocks correct? Are you sure a correction signal is being tripped by the master clock? Are you sure the slave clocks are in good condition?

7. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The control center is putting out the sync signal for the transmitter, and if I set the sync switch to "on" it will send the correction signal once every minute, so makes it easy to test. The relay clicks, the bottom LED lights, and you can hear it even without the hound. (Oscillations from the transformers) Getting the hound out, and anywhere near the inside of the transmitter and it's the loudest thing I have heard on it. Pressing the 4 testing buttons on the bottom PCB produces 4 different tones. I checked the relay. None of the clocks are currently responding to the sync signals being generated on the AC lines, hence why I want to make sure they are still properly hooked up and not unhooked by some remodel project or HVAC installation.

8. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The test you need to make is how much voltage is being sent by the transmitter. If you have Simplex come in to test it, they will be able to measure this voltage and tell if it should be enough to correct the clocks. A signal level meter is needed for this. They will have one.

9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you clicking on the images that are the cover of the PDF file? There are image links in that thread that have not yet been restored, but essentially all the technical information is in the PDF files that are working for me.

The image links are not visible unless you click on the cover that says they are not ready.

10. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, the manual for the 2850 looks like it's still down. If I click the "spoiler" button, the links are still there but once clicked still saying file not found.

11. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    They just tried to quote them on a new wireless system.

12. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So had they been called out on a service call to assess the clock system? If so, what did they say the problem was?

13. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    From what I was told, they came out, never said what the problem was, just quoted them on a new wireless system at a "One time discount" Guessing they didn't want to put the time in, as the closest office is a 2 hour drive each way. Other times if 1 cap is leaking, or the battery is corroded, they replace a whole PCB, no component level repairs. Others they have had parts "on order" for over a year. Because of all this, we are now looking into the problem for them.

14. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good luck with that. Without the proper tools, you don't know if the signal is the right frequency, or the right voltage. Just hearing it just tells you something is there, but not what.

15. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have been working as an electronics repair tech for 20 years now. I have plenty of tools and equipment, just not Simplex branded stuff. (Mostly Sencore, Tektronix and BK) Once I can get hold of the installation manual, it should de-mystify this unit quite a bit for me. Schematics would be even better, but I will take what I can get.

16. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Send me an email and I will send you a copy of the manual for the transmitter.
    heyjude1313 (at)rogers.com

17. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seems I don't still have a copy of this for you. I was sure it would still be in my archives, but it's not there. Guess you will have to wait for Tom to figure out how to restore it here.

18. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Well thank you for your effort anyway. Did you guys want a copy of the Simplex 6351/6400 Control Center Installation/Operation manual for that sticky thread?

19. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hopefully it will come back when our computer guys figure out what went wrong For now, lets give them time to work it out..

20. harold bain

NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 2850 manual is back now. Hope it helps.

21. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you guys so much! I'll let you know what I find when I get to the other end of things.

22. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Turns out it was the amplifier. Couldn't get it to draw current. Found U2 was defective on the daughter PCB. It was a TDA2040. These of course are an obsolete part. I could source one, but has anyone had luck using an LM1875? This is a current product at least.

23. flynwill

flynwill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Rolling Hills Estates, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Certainly looks like it has a decent chance of working. Do you have an oscilloscope so that you can check that the replacement is working properly and not oscillating?

24. SWBeebe

SWBeebe Registered User

Nov 17, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes I do. I was mainly concerned about the longevity of it, and if anyone has tried it in one of these units. The higher rated TDA IC's are also NAL and hard to find. The LM is a current production part. Guess we will find out. I'll post back once finished. Thanks again.