• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Simple Tool(s) For Clock Assembly and Testing

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I found a simple method to ease clock assembly and for testing purposes. I came up with the idea of using small hitchpins. Normally, we would have to insert wires in the post holes to retain levers and whatnot. If something needs to be adjusted or removed, then we have to take the wires out, drop them probably and spend time looking for it or reform them again, and not sit quite right. The hitchpin can instead be used on a lot of different movements I think, and save some aggravation. This is the second movement I have used these on, and has really helped me. Here are some used on an old '20's Herschede movement. I have had some of the levers and things off and on as I adjusted and figured out the chime correction on this old movement. Really helped a lot. Here are three pics of the front of the movement where these were used.

Resized952021042895194542.jpg

Resized952021042895194528.jpg

Resized952021042895194535.jpg

I was able to obtain the hitchpins at a local Ace Hardware store, back in the Hillman drawer boxes, and got them for about .46 cents a piece. These were the smallest they had.

Hope you might find this useful!...............................gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jennifer123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller