Simple Jewel holding tool

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by wilsonpaule, Mar 31, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. wilsonpaule

wilsonpaule Registered User

Oct 23, 2011
    I figured I would share some pictures of an interesting tool i just picked up. It is a Jewel holder, made by a company called Cunninghams in Canada. I am sure most people on here have probably seen these, but it was a first for me and i though I would share with the other newbies. You hold it in one hand, use your thumb to activate the lever, and place the jewel in the jaws with tweezers, or just pick it straight up off of a flat surface. Will try it out to see how well it works.

2. Paul_S

Paul_S Registered User

Mar 27, 2015
    Thanks for the pics! It is fun to see that they listed the exact month and day it was patented. The pace of watchmaking innovation was brisk back then.

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Thanks for posting that tool, i have not seen one before.

4. sharukh

sharukh Registered User

Oct 10, 2011
    I've never seen one of these, not even in pics. Could you post a picture with a scale alongside ? Or give the basic dimensions ?

Thank you,

Sharukh

5. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    But how does the lever close the jaws? An excenter under the lever?

Seems like a simple enough tool to make. Thanks for posting!

6. wilsonpaule

wilsonpaule Registered User

Oct 23, 2011
    I will post some pics with scale later today and will also put up a video on youtube of the tool working and provide the link to the video.

7. Accutronica

Accutronica Registered User

Nov 21, 2016
    To quote Buffalo Bill, "Goood.., goooood...".

Robert