Simple Fix it?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by JOE1225US, Oct 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JOE1225US

JOE1225US Registered User

Sep 19, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Found an old Swiss key wind watch. (see only other thread started by me for pictures). Had been laying in a house for decades Key for winding didn't turn, so I assumed it was 100% wound. But didn't move, although it set OK. Started playing with the wheel that goes back and forth (excuse my ignorance, its that the balance spring), and it started running. First only a few seconds at a time, but as I kick started it, ran for longer and longer. Initialy only when held flat, now do-sent matter the position. Has now been running for 20 hours straight. What could that be? Possible that it was just dirt or the like and now freed will run? Any thoughts.

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I'm sure it was just dirty. But think about it, if there is dirt and grime in the oil in your wacth
    and you run the watch it's like using dirty old oil in your car's engine. All that will
    happen is that it will damage your watch if you run it too much when dirty.
    Dirt is abrasive, it's best to have it cleaned and oiled before you run it too much.

Rob

3. JOE1225US

Sep 19, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Will do. Are there any mail in places where I can send this for servicing? Don't know of any local places (tried a few watch repair places)

4. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Yes.

Two things can happen...... someone that knows you are looking to service this watch
    from reading this thread will send you a PM. Or, if no one contacts you let me know and
    I will give you a few referrals. Post the photos of the watch again in this thread so
    people know what you have.

I am going to move this thread to watch repair where it will get better exposure/responses.

Rob

5. JOE1225US

Sep 19, 2019
    Country Flag:
    IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2951.JPG IMG_2955.JPG IMG_2956.JPG