Simmons watch chain

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by rolandantrobus, Oct 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hello, does anybody have any information regarding the Simmons watch chain company? All I know is that it is an American company. The reason I ask is that I recently acquired an American watch from 1903 with such a chain and I want to know if its contemporary with it. Thanks.

2. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    My 1904 Waltham Riverside came with a chain and knife from Simmons

(Quote from Simmons Vintage Jewelry @ collectiblejewels.com - R. F. Simmons Company Jewelry)
    "R.F. Simmons Company, Attleboro, MA. "Founded in 1873 by Robert Fitz Simmons, a chaser who conducted a small shop. Simmons struck up a friendship with Joseph Lyman Sweet who used to drive grain from the Sweet farm in West Mansfield to Attleboro's town sales near Simmons' shop. Simmons would tease Sweet about being a "rube" and from this banter grew a warm frienship which led simmons to invite the younger man to learn the jewelry business."
    "In 1875 Sweet, Simmons and Edgar L. Hixon formed a partnership each investing $2,500 in the new business. In 1887 the organization had grown from 8 or 10 employees to more than 200 with offices in New York and Agents in Rio de Janiero, Bueinos Aires, Montevideo, Berlin, Barcelona and Sydney. Simmons' best known product was it's watch chains but other items were soon added to its line included chatelaine pins, eye glass chains, fobs and bracelets. It was around Simmons' 40th anniversary that it laid claim to numerous "firsts" in the industry, among them: First house to issue a chain catalogue - 1881; first to stamp goods with the manufacturer's initials for identification; first to adopt the definite and responsible guarantee of satisfaction to the wearer - 1880s; first to use a safety fastener in connection with chains and fobs in the early 1890s; first to produce a practical lock bracelet - the Marlow in 1899, etc. etc. (See Dorothy T. Rainwater's "American Jewelry Manufacturer's" for more info on Simmons.) R.F. Simmons Company was still active in 1952. Other simmons marks used: Armilla, Betsy Ross, Brenda, Floradora, Slident, Stubby, Tyton, Venetian, Victorian, R.F.S. & Co., R.F.S. Co., and Simmons' Chains. Simmons R F Co 508-222-6655 35 County St Attleboro MA 02703. "

3. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks musicguy! That's more than I could ever have hoped to find out.

4. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    Real Estate Broker on hiatus
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think that Simmons made some of the nicer gold-filled chains. They also made quality gold-filled watch-pins for ladies watches. Enjoy.

5. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Here is my Simmons white gold(filled) chain and knife
    IMG_4302 (2).JPG

6. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great information and a beautiful chain/knife. As previously mentioned, they also made women's chains and brooches. Here's a Simmons ad that shows a woman's lorgnette chain. Unfortunately, the year wasn't marked on the ad.

Simmons watch chain ad.jpg

7. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Here's almost the same ad from 1901, along with a few others.

1901_May_Simmons_Chains_As_Gifts.jpg 1901_Oct_Simmons_TM_Swivel.jpg 1905_May_10_Simmons.jpg 1911_Sep-30_Simmons_Why_Pay_For_Gold.jpg 1917_Nov-28_Simmons_Chain-Selling_Campaign.jpg 1918_Jan-2_Simmons_More_Chain_Business_For_1918.jpg 1921_Nov_Simmons_Worth-While_Gift.jpg 1930_June_Simmons_Hamilton_No_5.jpg

PatH likes this.
  8. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    adding to the already excellent comments.........

Robert

Simmons Chains - 1.jpg Simmons Chains - 2.jpg Simmons Chains - 3.jpg

PatH likes this.