Help Similar Threads?

Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by KurtinSA, Jan 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In vBulletin, there is a feature that can be enabled that shows a handful of past threads that share similar content. These similar threads are in a pane below the main message area. I'm not sure how these past threads are identified as similar...maybe based upon the title, key words, specific tags. I've found this to be useful in a first cut to find content that might be helpful. Is something like this available in Xenforo?

Kurt

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tags can be added by the originator of the thread, and he can alter or add them for a set length of time. After that, requests can be made to the moderator of the forum to add tags where they are seen as helpful. I believe this feature will be used more and more as time goes on, and tags can be added if needed. This will also be a feature on the new board when we upgrade. The upgrade will be coming soon, I believe.

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tags are only as good as the person adding them...and if they're added. The vBulletin method must have some sort of automatic process to identify the focus of a thread and put that into a database that was compared to a new thread.

I can do a regular search which can be helpful, but something like what vB was doing helps members who don't get too deep into searching.

Kurt

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Similar threads Plus is installed here. It should show below the reply box when viewing a thread that matches other threads in at least 4 significant words. There is a long list of common stop words that are ignored when doing the search.

If it is not working (and it may not be) it is because the search function is not working correctly.

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom -

I checked a few threads and see nothing near the bottom of the page that suggests similar threads. So, maybe it is tied to the search function issues.

Thanks...Kurt

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just tried to start a thread, to see if anything showed up at the bottom. Nothing did. I was allowed to add prefixes at the top though.

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The who read thread and who is viewing functions appear in the same location as similar threads is targeted to. I will try moving it to a different location and maybe disabling the other options as an experiment.