Silver Verge Fusee Clock

what is the description ,who was made this silver verge fusee clock ,which year was made

• I need to learn more about this beautiful clock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want to know if it is high , or low quality clock . If is it rare or not

• Is worth a good value

• is it silver for sure

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

time pieces

Feb 11, 2021
Country
Hi , I am looking for description and information and about this incredible silver verge fusee clock . Who made it ? and which year was made ?
It seems to be an alarm watch because the dial has 4 holes , but I don't know what each hole is used for ?
This clock was belong to a military and royal doctor at the Portuguese court.
The watch must be about 20cm in diameter and weigh about 1Kg.
It has a pedestal that seems similar to the French lady of liberty.
Another thing is to have written "A Lisbonne, l'an 1499" on the back, I don't know what does it mean ?
I would be grateful if you can help and thank you in advance for any feedback regarding this watch
best regards
time pieces

verge clock 1.jpg vergeclock 2.jpg verge clock 3.jpg verge clock 4.jpg verge clock 5.jpg verge clock 7.jpg verge clock 8.jpg verge clock 6.jpg verge clock 9.jpg

Last edited:

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi time pieces, and welcome to the forum,

I would be grateful if you can help and thank you in advance for any feedback regarding this watch
This appears to be what's known as a 'clock-watch' or sometimes a 'coach watch', and apart from telling the time and having an alarm, it will probably also strike the hours in the bell inside the case like a striking clock and may even repeat the last hour and quarters when the pendant is pressed in, it's hard to tell exactly what it does from the pictures. It probably dates from towards the end of the 18th century and the name 'Guillarmod' is known as a family of watchmakers working in Paris.

The 'DE' mark in the case is for the case maker, and the small chevron stamp looks like a canton mark for Neuchatel, which although now in Switzerland was under French rule at this time.

Some others here will probably be able to tell you more about the maker.

The stand isn't necessarily part of the watch, it looks later in date and could have been added at any time; the watch is certainly too large to carry in a pocket!

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: time pieces

time pieces

Feb 11, 2021
Country
Hi time pieces, and welcome to the forum,

This appears to be what's known as a 'clock-watch' or sometimes a 'coach watch', and apart from telling the time and having an alarm, it will probably also strike the hours in the bell inside the case like a striking clock and may even repeat the last hour and quarters when the pendant is pressed in, it's hard to tell exactly what it does from the pictures. It probably dates from towards the end of the 18th century and the name 'Guillarmod' is known as a family of watchmakers working in Paris.

The 'DE' mark in the case is for the case maker, and the small chevron stamp looks like a canton mark for Neuchatel, which although now in Switzerland was under French rule at this time.

Some others here will probably be able to tell you more about the maker.

The stand isn't necessarily part of the watch, it looks later in date and could have been added at any time; the watch is certainly too large to carry in a pocket!

Regards,

Graham
Thank you so much Graham for your valuable information . If you can give me an estimated price for this clock-watch , I would be greatly appreciated
best regards
time pieces

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi time pieces,

If you can give me an estimated price for this clock-watch
I'm afraid not, these are very unusual and the best I can suggest is that you search on eBay for completed listings of 'clock watches'.

I does occur to me that this may be just an alarm and repeater, with a square each to wind the time, the alarm and the repeater, and the fourth square to set the alarm, in which case it would be a 'repeater with alarm '. Have you tried a key on any of the squares?

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: time pieces

time pieces

Feb 11, 2021
Country
Hi time pieces,

I'm afraid not, these are very unusual and the best I can suggest is that you search on eBay for completed listings of 'clock watches'.

I does occur to me that this may be just an alarm and repeater, with a square each to wind the time, the alarm and the repeater, and the fourth square to set the alarm, in which case it would be a 'repeater with alarm '. Have you tried a key on any of the squares?

Regards,

Graham
thanks again Graham
regards
time pieces

Lychnobius

Aug 5, 2015
Redruth, Cornwall, UK
Country
I am puzzled by the French inscription 'A Lisbonne, l'an 1499'. My first thought was that this might be an Islamic date, but I understand that the Islamic equivalent for our present year is only 1442. The only dating system I can find that seems to match is that of the Coptic (Egyptian) Christians, whose year-number is 283 or 284 below ours, so that '1499' would correspond to 1782 or 1783 (could the watch be of that sort of date?). I gather that there are Coptic communities in France and even a Coptic church in Lisbon, so that a French-speaking Copt in Portugal is not altogether beyond possibility.

A diameter of 200mm seems enormous even for a full clock-watch – nearly double the usual size. It seems to have two trains (at least), each powered by a going-barrel (as opposed to a fusee).

Oliver Mundy.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Oliver,

...so that '1499' would correspond to 1782 or 1783 (could the watch be of that sort of date?)
Yes, at a pinch it could. I agree, 200mm, (almost 8" in old money!), is enormous.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HistorySeeker
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre