Silver Dennison pocket watch

saddletramp

Aug 20, 2013
United Kingdom
Country
Dear Members,

Please see the attached photo's of an I think old pocket which is still working and keeping unbelievably good time, my question is can anyone give me any information regarding this watch from the following

Case numbered 443056
movement numbered 654169

Any help would be much appreciated as ever many thanks

Kind regards

Walter Dennison silver case'd pocket watch #443056.JPG Pocket & Chain.JPG Dennison pocket watch.JPG Inside silver pocket watch hall marked.JPG Silver pocket watch movement #654169.JPG

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
The Dennison case is of English make. Thereby, there should be a series of stampings inside the back cover which will give some information. There should be a stamping which specifies the silver content (lion passant for sterling), a symbol (ie a lion's head for London) which is the hallmark, and a letter (font and shape of sheild differ from year to year, and by hallmark) which specifies the year the case was assayed. If you can provide a much better photograph of the inside case back which clearly shows these marks, we may be able to help, a bit. The movement appears to me to be a typically generic Swiss product, and unless there is a maker's trade mark, it may not be possible to identify it. By the way, it is not a "Dennison" watch. Case made by Dennison, movement by an un identified Swiss maker, dial by someone else, assembled into a finished watch by an anonymous dealer, broker, or retailer. This is a generic, 20th century watch, likely for the market in Great Britain.

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Walter,

The sterling silver case is by the Dennison Watch Case Co. in Birmingham, but unfortunately the pictures aren't clear enough to see the date letter. The usual assay office used by Dennisons was Birmingham, whose mark is an anchor in a shield. If the complete set of marks isn't on one cover it should be on the other one.

The movement is Swiss, and someone here may be able to identify it from the shape of the plates and bridges. At first sight it reminded me of an Omega, but the serial number is way out for that maker.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosGraveyard
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller