Silk suspension

Discussion in 'General Clock Inquiries' started by rgmt79, Jun 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012

that'll save you doing it all again in 2-3yrs :)

2. rgmt79

rgmt79 Registered User

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Very nice ClipClock:) What lacquer did you use?

Richard

3. rgmt79

rgmt79 Registered User

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    ClipClock, can I ask how you were able to let down the springs? It would seem that the ratchet mechanism in inside the barrel. Normally it would be necessary to lift the click away to allow the spring to unwind with a let down tool, but that's not possible here.

Thanks,

Richard

4. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User

Jun 20, 2013
    Hi Richard, you have to remove the pallets and let it run down (I controlled it by slowing the escape wheel) , same with the striking, lift the lever to trigger endless striking

Because, like mine, yours has stops you will then need to let those down. If you look between the plates as you are letting the springs run down you'll see the winding arbors have a finger which rotates through the stops. It moves the stops with each rotation until it hits the end. So what you'll need to do is put a little wind back on, or leave enough, such that you can keep nudging the stops (with eg a little screwdriver) so the finger can pass without hitting the end...... hmmmm so hard to describe, does that make any sense!?

They are gorgeous movements, I'm jealous, but those Stops are a pain in the backside :D

5. rgmt79

rgmt79 Registered User

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Thanks ClipClock, everything you said makes perfect sense and I followed your advice successfully when running down the springs for the 2 strike mechanisms. However, when it came to the main going spring, I removed the pallet assembly, but the escape wheel did not move, or at least very slowly when I prompted it. I assumed that this was because the spring had already been run down...BIG MISTAKE!!! When I started to separate the plates, all hell let loose!!! It is clear now that the spring had run down to the stop and I should have checked this. Unfortunately, I did not get away as lightly as you did with your similar experience, but hopefully not a total disaster. The main gear has shed it's teeth and the main minute arbour has a slightly bent pinion...everything else seems to be ok. I will visit my local clockmaker next week to see if he can help me out. It looks like the teeth were cut on an outer ring which was subsequently heat shrunk onto the main brass hub containing the ratchet mechanism...if that can be removed and a new ring added, then maybe it won't be too expensive to repair. Strangely enough, it looks as though there has been a repair here before, I say strangely, because I cannot find any evidence that this movement has ever been dismantled before...

I will keep you posted,

Richard

6. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User

Jun 20, 2013
    Oh dear, so very sorry to hear that! Such a beautiful clock, hope you can get everything fixed again!

Those Stops are 'fun' to re-set as well.....

7. rgmt79

rgmt79 Registered User

Jul 23, 2016
    Male
    Hi ClipClock, I just read the thread about the trials and tribulations you went through with your clock last year and OH BOY I wish I had read that before I set about dismantling my movement. However, what you and others have posted there will be invaluable to me when it comes to getting it all back together...don't go away, I'm sure to have lots of questions:)

In the meantime, I didn't have any luck with my local clockmaker/repairman, in fact he was very condescending and smirking as if to say that you amateurs should not play the professionals game. He offered to fix it, but only if I gave him the complete clock. So, I'm looking at other options...maybe someone on here can help me out...if you know anyone (or anyone else reading this) who has the machine capability to cut me a new wheel, and is willing to help, please let me know....

Thanks, Richard