Silas Hoadley Tall case

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by DanJeffries, Oct 4, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanJeffries

DanJeffries Registered User

Dec 1, 2008
    Accounting Manager
    Covington GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello all,
    Okay, I'm sure I'm fixing to be flooded with numerous views on what the best bushing material is......and believe me I have read Wood, teflon, delrin, and brass, all are the best in certain circumstances.
    Well here is my question, my clock has the Ivory bushings and they all appear to be original. However a couple have crack down the center and of course some have Oblong holes now.
    My question is what should I replace the Ivory bushings with short of going to Zoo Atlanta and knocking an elephant in the head? :p Just kidding!!!!!!!!!! I know for all you animal lovers, that hurt.

My first thoughts are teflon to keep the original white Ivory look. I have also taken a couple of the old Ivory bushings and bushed them with modern bergeon bronze bushings. What can I say, I was bored on Saturday so I said what the heck........ Results were good, except now I will have to oil the movement. The clock is of course running well now, but I still have alot of worn bushings but the worst were repaired with the bushings mentioned above.
    Anyhow, any thoughts are appreciated. And again I have heard it all, this is better etc. I really want to hear results, and how the teflon and Delrin have "weathered" Wood is also an option, but again, that is not original to my clock.

Can anyone tell me their experience with the Ivory bushings and there repair techniques.:confused:

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

Go to an old piano repair shop and buy a real ivory piano key. It'll make quite a few bushings.

Frank Del Greco

3. DanJeffries

Dec 1, 2008
    Accounting Manager
    Covington GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great idea Frank, and I also thought of that the other day. I actually have an old piano in my barn, that is too far gone, and it has real Ivory keys. I removed one, however the Ivory is pretty thin, so not sure if I can make that work. I was planning on trying it though.
    Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes
    Dan

4. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, there has been discussion over the years regarding "ivory" bushings, with the consensus being they were most likely bone. I've heard of folks using piano key material with success, and I remember talking with someone some years ago at a Cog Counters meeting who had made a batch from a cow bone, using a band saw and plug cutters. He used hide glue to glue them in.

As an aside, does anyone here know in fact whether these bushings are bone? It seems to me that a knowledgeable person could tell the difference at a glance.

5. secondarylead

secondarylead Registered User

Sep 3, 2009
    Gettsyburg, Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Peter.

I don't know if I qualify as the knowledgeable person you were seeking for an opinion, but I do remember reading that the so called ivory was actually bone. The use of bone makes sense since clockmakers had to keep their production costs as low as possible as to make a profit. Bone was plentiful versus and a much more expensive imported ivory. Perhaps the word bone was synonymous with ivory in this era, lending the the advertisement of ivory bushings on labels.

6. DanJeffries

Dec 1, 2008
    Accounting Manager
    Covington GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I will look into the issue of Ivory or Bone while I'm investigating. To be honest though, when I was installing the new bronze bushings into the old "ivory" bushings for my temporary fix, the reamer was cutting thru it nice and it really didn't have the bone texture. I have dealt with bone with a couple door eschuteons and the texture was completely different. And I have also dealt with piano ivory before, and it did have the same texture while drilling etc. I tinker with old pianos and pump organs some. HMMMMMMMMM:confused: Well further investigation is required. Of course it is easier and less a crime to knock a cow in the head...atleast in GA :D Just kidding again! Luckily if I do go the bone route my family has a farm, so no shortage of bones around there.

I am going to try the piano ivory method probably this weekend, but again I really think it is a little thin. I guess it doesn't really matter if it isn't quite the exact thickness as the old bushings would it? I would imagine it would let the arbor wonder back and forth between the plates. The thicker keys that I'm familiar with on a piano are actually celluloid, and not real ivory. It was the first attempt to "cost-save" on pianos by marketing as real ivory keys, but of course using the cost saving Celluloid. Now that would probably be thick enough, but I don't know about using celluloid.

Anyhow, thanks for the input and this is exactly what I'm looking for, more research based infor, and not the age old debate on what you feel is the best material.

So I guess no one has used the teflon or delrin with time proven results? We use teflon and delrin here at my company for machine bushings all the time, so I thought why not in a clock? Especially to "replace" the ivory that can no longer by obtained with a white colored (teflon) bushing to give the authentic look plus the anti-friction quality.

thanks and keep the info coming. I wil post some pics soon.

7. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

I know a couple of clock repairers that regularly use teflon bushings in wooden works clocks with good, long-lasting results.

If the ivory from piano keys is too thin, can you laminate two or more thicknesses together with superglue to make thicker stock? The cyanoacrylate ought to hold forever.

Frank

8. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Hi
    How about a cue ball. They used to use celluloid but
    they tended to blow up so now they use some hard plastic
    of some type. I'd think this material could be cut up and
    machine to work as well as the original ivory. It would
    look about the same but not age as nicely.
    Tinker Dwight

9. David 62

David 62 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2004
    I would think that bone would work as well as ivory if you cut it from a bone that has dense cortical bone and not the spongy cancelous bone.Cortical bone makes up the bony hard plate of bone and the cancelous bone is the much less dense layer of bone under the cortical bone.I think that ivory is elephant dentin,and dentin is about the same hardness as cortical bone.A dry beef soup bone , a band saw and plug cutter should fit the bill.
    Dave

10. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,

I have both bone and very old ivory, more than happy to ship some of each to you. Personally the WW examples I have owned with "ivory" bushings have generally been bone. Old Yankees tended to be both practical and frugal. There was a lot of bone available for free, or near free.....and before anybody gets their knckers in a knot over ivory, the ivory I own was 100 years old when I bought it nearly 40 years ago, certainly pre ban ivory. Sent me a PM with shipping information and I will send you some. I can also crank out some bushings as I have made the cutters to make them. I also have teflon you are welcome to, I would not recommend its use in clocks, I have tested it for that purpose and it does not work well for long, not nearly as well as bone...

11. David D'Apice

David D'Apice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    I was able to buy dowel made of bone on Ebay --- and it was nearly the perfect diameter to press into the wood --- if it was a tad too large, I dropped it into the lathe -- while I was at it, I drilled the center hole -- and using a cutoff bit, I could make a dozen in no time. It was fun!

12. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's very easy to tell the difference between ivory and bone, bone has a blood supply and ivory does not, you can see black flecks n bone where the blood vessels were. Lack of blood vessels does not guarantee ivory, but presence of blood vessels does prove bone.

13. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, All,

FWIW, a few years ago, I had an ivory bushing to fall out of a thirty-day Seth Thomas wooden movement. The clock's label was proudly and boldly marked: "With the improvement of ivory bushings. Since I had always been curious, I took it to a friend at the University of Tennessee here in Knoxville. I actually took the whole movement and the errant bushing for an opinion. The results were a bit surprising, and sadly, will only serve to confuse the issue. Some of the bushings were indeed ivory, and some were bone. But, some were also from horse teeth! (I allowed one of the suspect bushings, the loose one, to be totally destroyed to be certain, but it was indeed from a horse's tooth!

So, folks, there we have it. More confusion...

Best to all,

George

14. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    teeth are very different aren't they? There is a nerve inside the dentine and then an enamel outer, so they must be a bit of an odd thing to make a bushing from, assuming horse teeth are the same as ours.

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I would bet those CT Yankees would use anything that was cheap, easily available and would do the job as well as appearing to the average person to be "ivory".

Remember, in CT they used to sell people wooden nutmegs so often that it became an expression for anything fake or fraudulent!

RM

16. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM, and All,

RM, I'm glad you mentioned wooden nutmegs, the type Chauncey Jerome mentioned as having his clocks classified as during shipping. So, my friend, pray tell me what exactly ARE wooden nutmegs? Are they the nuts used in spices or does it refer to something else?

Thanks,

George

Clarification about horse teeth: The University told me that the bushings were "main body" of the teeth (dentine), not the actual enamel.

-G

17. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    In re wooden nutmegs, this website is amusing, but I make no claims for its correctness.

18. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Male
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OMG:rolleyes:!
    Many thanks for the clarification, Steven! I had always wondered about the exact meaning of 'wooden nutmegs' too...

Aitor

19. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Steven! A big mystery for me finally solved!

George

20. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    George, you might like to submit this finding to the COG Journal for publication in the seen and found catigory?

21. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. I will most certainly do that!

George