Silas Hoadley movement question

John Teeter

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Jan 31, 2001
I have a Silas Hoadley Pillar and Scroll clock. It is one of those with the Hoadley name misspelled on the label (Silas Hoadly). It has an Ephraim Downs movement which I believe is correct for this clock. What I would like to know is, what was the time period for Silas to be using these Downs movements? As we know, he came up with his "upside down movement" to evade Eli Terrys patents. As we know. the "upside down movements" exist in Pillar and Scroll clocks and he used them over quite a period of time extending into his Franklin clock production which were the later Pillar and Splat cases. Did he use these Downs movements in his Pillar and Scroll clocks before, after, or concurrently with his upside down movement design? Unfortunatly, the printers name on the label, which might help, is missing on my clock and also on another similar clock that I was able to investigate.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

EphraimDownsCollector

Jan 29, 2006
Tyrone, PA
Country
Region
That's a good question my "Eli Terry and the Connecticut shelf clock" by Roberts and Taylor list Silas Hoadley as purchasing Down's movements as well as making his own from 1825-1840. Sorry not much help. I'll keep digging

EphraimDownsCollector

Jan 29, 2006
Tyrone, PA
Country
Region
Upon further reading in the same book Hoadley's first shelf clocks contained very early Down's type 10.11 movements, c. 1825 with misspelled HOADLY on the label. He developed the upside down movement c. 1825-1826 so your clock most likely predates that.

John Teeter

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Jan 31, 2001
Ephraimdownscollector,

Thanks for pursuing this. Unfortunately, even according to Snowden Taylor, who I had posed this question to a while ago, it is just conjecture as no records have come to light that would substantiate it it. Chris Bailey is of the same opinion. We know that Silas was concerned about Terrys patent, hence his development of his "upside down" movement. It could be that he wanted to get into the lucrative pillar and scroll shelf clock business as soon as possible and figured he would let someone else take the heat. Being an ex-employee of Terrys he also probably wanted to keep up good relations with him.
Thanks again, John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apollodog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller