Silas Hoadley 30 Hour Crime

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by David D'Apice, Dec 1, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David D'Apice

David D'Apice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    I'm delighted to have this great simple grandfather -- a 30-hour Hoadley with no calendar mechanism. Can you imagine the mindset that would butcher such a beautiful piece of early American craftsmanship? If anyone has a pile of the right parts, I'd be so glad to put this thing back in order --- and obliterate any sign of what happened to it in the name of "progress" and "convenience". I have a complete Hoadley grandfather movement, but it is of the calendar sort, so I'd rather not splice in the wrong thing (again) in this poor clock's life! It's been through enough already! Yikes. Gotta love the challenge!
    IMG_7211.JPG IMG_7210.JPG IMG_7209.JPG

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Sadly, such deranged thought processes are all too common.

Some pretty inappropriate "advice" is sometimes provided on the MB, though rarely does it go so far or is it as destructive.

RM

3. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Retired from computer program/product/project mana
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sort of like a very nice banjo clock I received in a few years ago, with a very similar movement in it and a hole drilled in the bottom of the case for the power cord. Nice original dial, original hands used but chopped up to fit the electrical movement, cross banded door and throat, very early step mitered with dovetails.......heartbreaking....

4. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Had a customer bring me a similar "clock" a number of years ago. They had inherited it.

Attached Files:

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of mine was once converted to quartz, but fortunately they kept the movement , they lost the hand and lift arm.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Just think of the wonderful Litchfield Mfg. clock you recently posted.

Another sad example of stupid horological vandalism.

RM

7. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    RM --- right ---- I've got a note over to the American Clock and Watch museum to try to get photos of their Litchfield clock so I can locate a somewhat similar movement to what it should have been -- I've got to try -- these pieces are too cool not to.

8. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    I'm determined not to give up on the original plates from this clock --- all that was left was a dog leg plate and the big chunk was cut out (hacked) ---- I found a Hoadley front plate in my scrap bin and spliced it in as best as possible. The holes appear to line up at first analysis -- it isn't pretty, but I was determined not to give up on the tiny fragment of the original plate! IMG_7218.JPG

9. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Here's what I've been able to find all over the cellar ---- the first photo is a closeup of the plates with a time side great wheel, barrel, clutch and motion works drive gear. I've even got the second wheel (even though it's missing a pinion leaf (yuck). The second photo is everything that seems strike-like --- looks like a choice of great wheels, and a few other -- no flywheel, but a few lift levers (I have a few more of those too) --- the last photo is what I believe might have been a wheel #3 for the time side (split in two). I've also got a few parts I could get together to make an escape wheel again. Some scraps. Sorry for the quality of my photos. It's really a swiss-cheese collection of parts at this point. I was so glad just to get ONE great wheel in between the plates. That must be one out of about two dozen items. I've got a long way to go. But I am hopeful. I even have an early bell. Not bad considering it had a synchronous motor in it and a dog-leg-plate!
    IMG_7228.jpg IMG_7229.jpg IMG_7231.jpg

10. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Hi everyone. Happy Summer -- I'm glad to report that this movement and clock is together and running!!! Wow. What an adventure. If memory serves me correctly, we used to be able to buy repro pewter hands for these clocks --- try as I have, I can't seem to find a supplier any more -- anyone know of a place to purchase the Hoadley type lead/pewter hands any more? Maybe I'm just dreaming and remembering incorrectly. Perhaps it was S. LaRose? I have a minute hand, just no hour one!

11. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check with Don Bruno,he is in Connecticut and makes all manner of parts for wooden movements.
    Hope this helps.
    BTW kudos on bringing another one back to life.
    tom

12. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David,

Recently bought a pair of Pewter hands from Don. He does WONDERFUL work, and sometimes even sells his hands on eBay.

Best,

George

13. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks guys -- I reached out to Don ---- hands on the way!

14. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David,

Great! Pictures, please, of the finished project. My heartiest congrats for taking this very worthy project under your wing and running with it! Few would be so willing to undertake such a project, but we all are quite glad you did!

Best always,

George

15. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Hi --- sorry for the delay -- here are a few shots with bad lighting --- the clock is ticking away happily -- making the sort of snapping tick it was supposed to make -- these wooden works clocks are cool. A little touchup on the case here or there, and this one's ready for the next century! It was fun to put humpty dumpty back together again.[​IMG][​IMG]

16. George Nelson

NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David,

Superior job! The clock is beautiful, and I know you get great satisfaction out of each "snappy" tick as it counts the hours happily once again. (I, too, appreciate the special sounds clocks like these make as they run.) I can only imagine how proud you are of such a major rescue that few would be willing to undertake. Even the finials are special on this one! Congratulations, my friend! :clap:

All my best,

George