Help Signs me out?

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by Kevin W., Sep 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I log in on the blue NAWCC log in button. And i click on keep logged in. later in the day or the next day , the site signs me out, then i have to keep logging in, why is this and how can i correct this?

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It cannot be corrected. The iMIS system that manages the blue button forces a time out regardless of your preference, it just extends it when you check the box.

If you want to log in permanently, clear your cookies and sign in with the Message Board login that appears just below the blue button with the key symbol.

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom for the explanation.

4. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see another signin problem, and it has nothing to do with the MB. I thought this was what concerned Kevin.

When I go to the main NAWCC site, the login box is blue. I sign in and check the "keep me signed in" box. When I come back the next day, the login box is blue again. What good is a "keep me signed in" checkbox if it doesn't work?

Frank

5. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is not my personal policy preference, but the iMIS system requires a user to be logged out if they are inactive for some length of time. The "keep me signed in" check box extends that to what the designers of that system consider a reasonable amount of time. I think that makes it 12 hours instead of 1 hour.

If your primary activity is on the Message Board, you should log in permanently here.

If you need to use the Bulletin or Research member only areas, you can log in on the main site. If you get logged out on the main site, you will still be logged in here.

The design is an attempt to protect the membership system from attack under the really strange circumstance that someone might inherit your ip address from your local isp and use that to invade your account and buy a bunch of stuff. Since we do not retain credit cards, they would have to use their own to buy something and it would still be sent to you, so I think any concern is misplaced.

I think the real issue is that securing the system against a legally logged in user who is not the account owner is much more difficult than just logging off the account owner.

We have the equivalent of 4 full time employees working 24 hours a day on the Message Board, so we are not really vulnerable to that sort of thing. That is why we can be so lax as to permanently log people in. :)

Kevin W. likes this.
  6. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom:

I am permanently logged in to the MB. It seems a shame that the main site doesn't allow that. Makes me not want to go to the main site.

Frank

Kevin W. likes this.
  7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I tried originally to sign in to the mb, it would not accept password and user name, so i signed into the nawcc blue sign in and it accepted it. I used to always sign into the mb and kept signed in, no problems before.

8. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wrote up this short post on logging in for some new users who are working on NAWCC Committees. You might find it useful. Help - Feature - Do you need help to use this site? In particular the "Forgot your password?" link will allow you to reset the password here on the message board. I recommend using the same password in both locations.

If you tell your browser to remember your password when you log in to the main site, it takes only a moment to log back in again.Logging in as a response to access denial used to take you back to the home page, but now it continues to whatever you were trying to reach.

Kevin W. likes this.