sieko 5606 date quickset cam issues

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by klokwiz, Oct 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,

this 5606 movement has a plastic cam that engages the date wheel to change date. the plastic cam splits or just slips too much to force date to next day.

It is my understanding that the factory replacement part to replace the slipping cam assy. is not longer available. has any one found a suitable solution to this? aside from donor movements or high priced sellers on ebay? It also appears to me that there was a cam made with metal cam instead of plastic, but cant find info on this. it appears this part was used in two other calibers, but they used same part number, discontinued.

Has any one tried to affix the steel gear to the upper plastic cam (gluing it) so it turns fixed to gear ?

Joe

quickset cam.jpg

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    #2 roughbarked, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Seiko always had a five year obsolescence plan for parts supply. This caliber was only intended for the Seiko Lord range. I believe that the original grey colour was a nylon part rather than black plastic and it did seem to last longer. Donor movements are possibly out there but they may also have the same problem. You would need to be a trained watchmaker with the correct tools to be enabled to disassemble remake and reassemble this part.

There are some interesting webpages out there that do concentrate on the day/date complication. Flawed genius: A Seiko Lord Matic 5606-8010

3. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your reply. I have seen these videos. i have the watch apart for servicing. I am thinking of tryng locking the gears to see if this will work.. if someone has experience with having this item made i'd like to hear about it. thanks