Help Function Showing videos on this site

Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by Tom McIntyre, Jun 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe there was an earlier discussion on this topic but I will try to clarify what is available.

If you would like to embed a video in your post here on the Message Board, the tool in the editor toolbox that looks like a pair of film strips will allow you to do that.

At this time the video must be hosted on an approved media site which includes these services:
    mediasites.JPG

This video is a brief tutorial by the lead designer of XenForo on using the multiple quote tool when creating a post.

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just discovered that there was no interface to embed videos from PBS on our site. There is lots of good and appropriate content on PBS but in particular Antiques Road Show has lots of material that we might want to use in our forums.

When you are looking at a video on the PBS.org site, there is group of sharing links at the bottom right below the video. The one that looks like "</>" is the one to use for embedding here. If you click on that it will show a large ugly URL that you can click on and copy.

That URL has lots of information extraneous to what you want to do, so you should use the insert media tool in the toolbar that looks a bit liek a filmstrip and paste the messy URL there. It will extract the video ID code and use it in our software.

upload_2018-7-8_16-5-12.png

Here is the embedded video of the page capture above.