Show off your Ball Watches(any size)

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
I'm afraid this is only the dial for an 0-size Waltham. It is unlike any other dial I have seen on Waltham's Ball "Queen" models. Does anyone have this dial on a movement?
Hi Jerry After seeing this I had remembered bidding on one and lost. I searched and finally found it in a past listing if you copy and paste....ANTIQUE 0S BALL SPECIAL GOLD FILLED POCKET WATCH Into the advanced search on eBay and go to to completed auctions it will come up.

Reactions: Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Hi Jerry After seeing this I had remembered bidding on one and lost. I searched and finally found it in a past listing if you copy and paste....ANTIQUE 0S BALL SPECIAL GOLD FILLED POCKET WATCH Into the advanced search on eBay and go to to completed auctions it will come up.
THANKS! If the dial is original to that watch, then maybe Ball just used these as a simple private-label dial for any movement they wanted to case and sell.

Reactions: Rodney Leon

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I saw that 0s. I don't believe it's an original combination. I also think
I have seen that dial for sale within the past year. I did
buy a 0s Queen dial in the last 18 months and he had one like that.

Rob

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
Another Ball. These were made for the someone wanting a good time keeper but not spending the extra for a Railroad approved one. This one keeps the time as good as my other Balls.
Ball Commercial Standard 1908, 17 jewel. (all original)
Manufacturer Ball Waltham Grade commercial Standard, Model 1899,16 size, Adjusted, Pendent set. Single sunk Ball Watch Co, Commercial Dial. Marked Ball Commercial Keystone watch case, double swing out hinged, J.Boss, 8361937.

DSC_1027.jpg DSC_1029.jpg

Old rookie

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2021
Country
One thing totally cosmetic is the gold flashed logo medallion/seal (a plug set into the barrel bridge)
into the movement. These always intrigued me as well.

View attachment 647398

Rob
Musicguy, what's the story on the gold plug logos? Do they only appear on Ball Commercial Standard watches or all Ball watches within a specified s/n range?

johnbscott

NAWCC Member
Feb 25, 2007
Country
Here is a wandering 16s Ball from the first run of the 16s Ball-Waltham ORRS watches dating from 1899. The movement number is B061018, recently identified as being pendant set - as are most of the movements from the first run. The movement wandered into my hands, rather unexpectedly, without hands or dial and with a badly bent fourth wheel pinion (which I managed to straighten without breaking it, to my relief). One of the accompanying photos shows the beautiful quality of finish that was applied throughout. The pallet bridge incorporates fixed bankings, by the way, as found in all of these first run movements.

Now the movement has the correct first run dial (hard to get without some fault, after 120 years, so slightly repaired) and a set of correct wine-coloured Ball spade hands. The movement has been allocated an early Ball Model Loaner case, from Reno NV, that must have wandered throughout some very interesting territory, a century ago, and more.

I might add that the timekeeping performance of the watch is incredibly accurate. I believe it exemplifies what Ball could do.

Ball-Walt 16s B061018  movt..JPG Ball-Walt 16s B061018 case a.JPG Ball-Walt 16s B061018 case b.JPG Ball-Walt 16s B061018 dial..JPG Ball-Walt 16s B061018 parts.JPG

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
Here's my entry. Nothing special - I assume the hands are wrong,
All Balls are nice. The hands I have seen on other balls but I belive they are 16 size thin Waltham hands which fit the ball movement. They still go around and tell ball time, and are better then nothing. Your dial looks great.

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
These are great additions to any collection. It is pretty difficult to still find examples of these solid gold Ball cases, especially the 18k version. Congrats.

I wonder if anybody knows if Ball used this case style with Hamilton movements too? I think I have only seen them with Wally movements.

Rodney Leon

NAWCC Member
Jun 29, 2020
Country
Another Ball. I like the case and back engraving, it is a Ball Official Standard 1918, 19 jewel Railroad. Serial Number B264830. Gold filled case Keystone Watch Co. J. Boss, 20 year. Single sunk Ball Porcelain dial. Original Hands. Runs great.

DSC_1093.jpg DSC_1094.jpg DSC_1101.jpg DSC_1102.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Spencer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre